Getting out of retore mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 10.6.2
I updated my iPhone system software as suggested by iTunes, file downloaded, prepared iPhone for installation, then error 21 and the phone is stuck in restore.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Try shutting it down and then restarting - that often sorts things.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 10.6.2
Hi Colin

I've tried the recommended stuff like restart, I'm beginning to think the problem may lay with the appropriate ports not being open, but I can't find a resolution to this in the help menus. I found a reference to 'server administration' but can't find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if you can download Apps from App store i would have thought the necessary ports were open.
No help now i guess but doing a back up of iPhone with it connected is done thru iTunes;

Click for full size

perhaps do this once get it sorted.

You could try 'reset warnings' if all else fails

Just checked and mine automatically does a back up when the iPhone is connected but that may be because i have done an initial one and it is only updating what is there.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 10.6.2
Hi Collin

Well the phone has been backed up a number of times when I've plugged it in for syncing, and I've downloaded a few apps, but only through the phone, not via iTunes on the iMac. You've answered another question of mine in the OSX section about ports, here's what the error report says:

Open the proper ports and allow access to Apple servers
During the update and restore process, iTunes needs to contact Apple. Ensure that your computer has the following ports open and can access these servers:

* Port 80
* Port 443
* phobos.apple.com, albert.apple.com, gs.apple.com

If you see "Error 9807", you must open access to the following VeriSign servers:

* evintl-ocsp.verisign.com
* evsecure-ocsp.verisign.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps you are going to have to have a chat to verisign.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.