iMovie ilife ibook g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 MacBook Pro 4.0GB 2.4 Ghz 250GB HD
My ibook g4 mid2005 1.33 Ghz doesn't do iMovie from Ilife '09. I got an old version of iLife '05 which iMovie will work with but I don't have the discs from '09. I know that there can be a way to uninstall '09, install '05 which will save iMovie to another file when I reinstall '09 (when I can locate an install copy).

My question is two-fold. 1) Does anyone know an easier process that I can have iMovie with all the benefits of iLife'09 without going thru all this uninstall, install crap. & 2) If not, can anyone outline clearly the details of the uninstall / install I need to do to get iMovie '05 but with the rest of of the iLife '09 stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Have you tried just installing iMovie 05? I think it is named iMovie HD, so should not interfere with the new iMovie.

The only way to get the benefits of iMovie 09 is to run iMovie 09. If the installer is not allowing it to install, look for cheats that bypass the regular installer. Perhaps Pacifist will do the trick. Performance might suck, at least for some features. Also, you will not be able to use AVCHD files from cameras without using some other conversion software.

P.S. If you don't own the iLife 09 discs, then you shouldn't be installing software from it.

C

chas_m

My ibook g4 mid2005 1.33 Ghz doesn't do iMovie from Ilife '09.

That's correct, it doesnt. From the box:
"iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster)."

I got an old version of iLife '05 which iMovie will work with but I don't have the discs from '09.

Problem solved then! Use the older iMovie, remove the pirated iMovie 09 by dragging it to the trash.

My question is two-fold. 1) Does anyone know an easier process that I can have iMovie with all the benefits of iLife'09 without going thru all this uninstall, install crap.

You can't have iMovie 09 on that computer. No way, no how, not going to happen. That also goes for the rest of iLife 09, except for iPhoto.

You'd be a lot better off just buying a used copy of iLife 06 (the last one for which your machine is fully compatible) and installing/using that.

If you really want iLife 09 (and I can see why you would), buy a Mac that can support it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 MacBook Pro 4.0GB 2.4 Ghz 250GB HD
Sorry for Confusion

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm working with an illegal copy if iLife '09 (that I know of anyway), I bought the iBook from eBay that way. I also didn't mean to imply that that I thought there was some way of having the benefits of iMovie'09 running on iMovie'05 but I was looking for the way to have iMovie'05 running with my iPhoto'09, iDVD'09, etc.

I didn't want to run the iLife '05 disc until someone could tell me that I wouldn't mess up the other iLife'09 Apps. Also, I agree that buying a better Mac would solve my issues but when you live in Michigan, having the money to buy a better Mac is the issue.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how it works out.

C

chas_m

As I mentioned, iPhoto 09 is the only program that's going to run reasonably well on an iBook of that vintage. iDVD 09 will technically run, but it will be unpleasantly slow.

The iLife 06 suite, if you can locate a copy of that, was a big improvement on iLife 05 (particularly in terms of iMovie -- the iMovie 6 HD is still very well regarded and in wide use), which is why I recommended it.

The seller of your iBook should have included the iLife 09 disc for you, otherwise it IS pirated. I apologise if I accidentally implied that YOU pirated it. I hope you at least got the grey "restore" discs that would have come with that machine.

I have (actually JUST sold this week) my old 1.2GHz iBook G4, I really loved that machine and it served me well. I hope yours will give you as much pleasure. Just remember one thing (it's important!):

NEVER pick up the iBook using one hand! Flexing the casing is THE cause of dead iBook G3s and G4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As I mentioned, iPhoto 09 is the only program that's going to run reasonably well on an iBook of that vintage. iDVD 09 will technically run, but it will be unpleasantly slow.

I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than the iDVD that came with iLife 05. It's not like Apple has actually done a lot with it since then. The biggest change was a universal binary, and I think a wide screen mode.

As usual, the more horse power one has, the smoother software seems to flow. Patience may be required with a machine less capable, but a lot of work can still be done.

Megandy, maxing the amount of memory can be very helpful.

NEVER pick up the iBook using one hand! Flexing the casing is THE cause of dead iBook G3s and G4s.

I don't recall hearing of that before. Is it really a problem, or just something a few people have hollered about? That would suck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.