ipod classic freezes when i try to sync

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a 120gb ipod classic from ebay. it seems to be in really good condition but I just cant get it to sync to my itunes. When I plug it in it syncs for a little while and then it makes itunes freeze and I can't even eject it I just have to pull the cable out. It didnt do it at the same number or size of songs everytime so i thought i would just try and sync it bit by bit. I managed to get 802 songs onto it by doing this but now when i try to sync it always gets stuck on 12 songs.

I've resetting the ipod and restoring it to original settings but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help?

OP
W
Reaction score
i just did a hardware test and i dont think the results are too good.

retracts: 16
reallocs: 6936
pending sectors : 0
power on hours :50
start stops :1404

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly it sounds like the internal hard drive is dead or dying.
Does it play back the songs you've managed to get on it ok?
You could try reformatting, though it's not really ever necessary, but I suspect the drive will be a gonner soon, if not already.
If it was sold as fully working you may have some comeback, but it's notoriously difficult to do this via Ebay sales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I had a similar problem with mine, getting only between 400 and 800 tracks on it, then it would just hang.

This went on for weeks, but a reformat eventually worked (I had reset the thing several times before - so I have no clear idea why the problem went away)

I would make sure iTunes is up to the latest version, then reset the ipod back to its old settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.