Best format to record music on ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 27inch, 2017, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D127a)
I have an ipod classic 80 gb which is about 25% full. My question is about which is the best format to use when recording CDs to the iPod.

It seems that the possible formats include AAC encoder, AIFF encoder, Apple Lossless encoder, MP3 encoder and WAV encoder.

As I am a singing teacher I am interested in getting the highest fidelity that I can.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you truly want the best quality sound on the iPod, then Apple Lossless or AIFF are the way to go.
Bear in mind you only get the benefit of that with great headphones or a great sound system.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 27inch, 2017, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D127a)
Thanks Kevriano,

I've got Bose noise-cancelling heaphones.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you want to be able to use the files in other applications or whatnot, then you might want to consider the tried and true MP3 format. Stick with 320kbps and you should be set.

C

chas_m

"Best" is an awfully subjective term, but in this case there's an easy answer: Apple Lossless is the "best" format, since as the name implies there is ZERO loss of fidelity from the original CD.

However, the files produced using ALC are 10x or so larger than using compressed formats like AAC and MP3, dramatically reducing the number of song files you can put on the iPod.

I like to think I have a pretty good ear for music (at least for someone my age), and honestly I can't hear any difference between 256kbps (or higher) AAC and Apple Lossless. For whatever infinitesimally small bit of fidelity I've lost, I gain 10x storage capacity (and more flexible media options), that's a trade I'm willing to make.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.