• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to FCE 4, need some suggestions

Reaction score
I've used imovie 06 on an emac and loved it. I tried imovie 08/09 on my imac g5, and I completely hated it. I got FCE4 and just have a couple of questions.

What is a scratch disk, and will i need an external hdd to work on files in fce4?

Will i need another firewire port to connect the extenal hdd and to be able to connect my gl2(yes, I have a gl2, not really into the hd cameras, not dogging hd cameras though).

I'm just asking honest questions, I really don't want to screw up my computer.

Thank you all for your time..

Reaction score
FCE Help

A scratch disk is the location where you will store your media and where FCE will look to make changes on that same media.

You will not necessarily need an external hdd although it is generally preferred, not so sure why. Depending on the hdd you get it may have several firewire ports, which will allow you to connect it to your computer and your camera to it.

Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.