vShieldCheck process is killing my Mac - How can I uninstall Virex?

Reaction score
Every time I start up my computer the fan comes on really loud and continues to make a loud noise as long as I'm using it. I checked my Activity Monitor and the culprit is a process called 'vShieldCheck', which, as things are right now, is eating up a whopping 188% of my CPU (I know it's not possible it's more than 100% but that's what it says).

From what I've read, the solution is to completely uninstall Virex and all associated files. However, I don't know how to do this. I downloaded the app Appdelete and removed the Virex application that I found, as well as trash a Virex file I found under Jack/Library/Application Support, but the fan is still working overtime, even after I restarted the computer.

Can anyone walk me through how to uninstall all vestiges of Virex? I'd really much appreciate it.

Jack

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Re-download it and use the included uninstaller. I'm guessing that it came with one.

And yes, you can have more than 100% CPU usage. Each processor core in your machine counts as one processor so if you have a dual core processor (Core 2 Duo for instance), you have "200%" processor capability.

OP
J
Reaction score
Re-download it and use the included uninstaller. I'm guessing that it came with one.

And yes, you can have more than 100% CPU usage. Each processor core in your machine counts as one processor so if you have a dual core processor (Core 2 Duo for instance), you have "200%" processor capability.

The weird thing is I never needed a disk to download the antivirus software. In fact, I didn't pay for anything. I think what happened was that I was required to download some piece of Virex software a year or two ago in order to be granted access to my college wireless network. But, because everyone was required to download this before accessing the network the download was free. Anyway, the point is I don't have any Virex disk. Any other solution?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.