• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toshiba X100 AVI & Final cut pro PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Hi. I have been using FCP for some years now with a Sony FVR.Z1E pro camara with no problems in Final cut pro. I just bougt a muck about camara a Toshiba x100 and no way will it open avi files into Final cut pro nor quicktime pro nor imovie "What a waste of Money" I have a caanon G9 which records in AVI and I just upload the files from the SD card into Final cut pro and way we go BUT this Toshiba has me scratching my head, the FCP I have is a bought copy from a Mac retails store and is genuine so I can't see where the problem is. If anyone can help out I would be very gratefull or I've just thrown $210 against the wind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The Toshiba site sure is confusing. It says "Digital H.264 Full HD video camcorder", AVI, MPEG4. Your G9 uses motion jpeg, apparently wrapped in an AVI file.

What versions of FCP, OS X, iMovie, and QuickTime do you have installed?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Exstep

The g9 works great in FCP. I have spent all day with this Toshiba, had a gut feeling not to buy it and go fro canon or sony!!. I was wrong about the files this thing pushes out they are AVCHD files. I think Pinnacle studio ultimate accepts them but what a drag of a programe. Well looks like I will have to get shot of it cheap on the internet and get a Sony or Canon with compatible files for FCP. What a waste of a day and money, shoulld have checked it out first and see what are "All" the files FCP will accept. Best Regards and thanks for your reply.

OP
K
Reaction score
xstep

The Toshiba site sure is confusing. It says "Digital H.264 Full HD video camcorder", AVI, MPEG4. Your G9 uses motion jpeg, apparently wrapped in an AVI file.

What versions of FCP, OS X, iMovie, and QuickTime do you have installed?

I am using a Mac Book with leopard 10.5.6. Final cut Studio 2 "all Legal"!! Imovie 08. Quick time pro 7 if I recall correct. I have a Mac Book Pro as well but I am having to change the screen under the warranty, over used I think:Oops:. Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Those avi files are not AVCHD, AVCHD is a very specific layout and container specification (mpeg 2 transport stream)... FCP will accept AVCHD from a good quantity of camcorders as long as you don't try to pull the individual files (the mts or m2ts container files) out of the AVCHD structure.

That Toshiba tho is recording to an AVI file (and may use the H.264 codec), I'd say grab Handbrake or mpegstreamclip and convert it to something more FCP or iMovie friendly like quicktime mov or mp4.

OP
K
Reaction score
Nethfel

Those avi files are not AVCHD, AVCHD is a very specific layout and container specification (mpeg 2 transport stream)... FCP will accept AVCHD from a good quantity of camcorders as long as you don't try to pull the individual files (the mts or m2ts container files) out of the AVCHD structure.

That Toshiba tho is recording to an AVI file (and may use the H.264 codec), I'd say grab Handbrake or mpegstreamclip and convert it to something more FCP or iMovie friendly like quicktime mov or mp4.

Hi. When you say don't try to pull out the individual files, what do you mean exactly?. As this cams takes an SD card FCP will not recognise it to import as the Sony HVR-Z1E which is an esay cam to use!. What I am doing is, is taking out the SD card inserting it into a USB card reader and the importing them as files into FCP but in the canvas all I get is a pure white screen. I see 2 files per clip taken. I am not sure if the sound is recoreded on a seperate file or it is some sort of back up file. One is IMAG0001 the other is IMAG0001_thm I have tried each one individualy and both of them at the same time but no joy. Do you have any idea as to what the _thm means at the end of the second file name?

Will try the things you mentioned to convert and see how it goes. Thanks very much for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
No - what I'm saying is - the Toshiba camcorder doesn't actually seem to record in a standard AVCHD layout and container.

An AVCHD capable camcorder will actually store a hierarchy of folders, and deep within the folder structure there will be a folder containing .mts and .m2ts streams. These camcorders can have their footage imported and auto-converted by FCP, iMovie and FCE - but the files MUST remain within their folder hierarchy otherwise these software packages will not operate with them properly.

Your Toshiba doesn't seem to record according to this standard (as the Toshiba, according to what I've read about that camera as well as what you've said, records to an AVI container - which means that, as you've noticed, FCP may not like it (well, obviously does not like it ;) ).

So, what I had suggested was to use Handbrake or MpegStreamClip to convert the footage from AVI into a .mov or .mp4 container.

In terms of a muck about camera, if you want more compatibility with FCP, I'd suggest getting an AVCHD camcorder like a Canon HF or Sony HDR series or something.

Apple has a listing of tapeless camcorders that are supported by FCP, unfortunately, I'm having trouble locating the link - here's a link for FCE (which, if it's supported by FCE, it's supported by FCP):

Final Cut Express: Camcorder support

C

chas_m

That Toshiba model is not supported due to its proprietary version of AVCHD.

I have no doubt that there exists a way to convert the files into something iMovie/Final Cut/other video programs could use, but without more info on what Toshiba is doing with that model I can't advise except to say you should dump that camera and get one that plays nice with standard video formats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.