• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Publishers react to Steve Jobs' opposition to Flash

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm with Steve on this one. Flash is garbage and there are many other technologies that can be used to deliver content including ebooks. Until Adobe changes their development approach to give OS X some sorely needed attention, this is never going to change. Adobe needs to stop relying on the laurels of the past and pervasiveness as an argument for a product that desperately needs to be fixed.

To quote the article:
"Steve is not addressing the fact that the web world is a plethora of mostly inexperienced scaffolding and experimental jumble fused together as an overnight crunch to satisfy demanding clientelle," said a freelance designer. "Not everyone has a team of experts working full-time to adhere to the perfection which Mr. Mac's of engineers offer..."
I'm sorry but if you want to sell a product in a digital store and you want it done well, you hire professionals. There is no reason that a newspaper or magazine company can't hire a team to create the digital copy.

I think we all know how this is going to play out - publishers are going to complain that the device doesn't meet their needs (reliable Flash build), the device will sell well and the publishers will come back by changing their approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
With the fact that all that did not pre-order they will have to wait till April 12 a lot of people got caught by surprise and if they want their content on it change is inevitable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Vansmith,
I agree with you 100%!! People complained just as much, and claimed that Apple was going to make the biggest mistake ever by dropping floppy disks…you all know how that turned out! I hate flash, not because Steve is against it, but because it always ticks me off how almost everyone can run stupid flash images/videos to advertise! And now, it just seems that they are EVERYWHERE!! I can't wait for the day when flash is dead and html5 is the new standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I wasn't a big fan of Flash on Windows either and it is worst on the Mac side so I welcome the end of Flash. The change is going slower than I had hoped though. The only way for us to make the change away from Flash is to make a forced effort such as what Steve Jobs is doing by not including Flash support.

C

chas_m

I haven't got that big a problem with Flash ... but (like Steve) I have a *huge* problem with Flash *on the Mac.* Adobe treats their Mac customers like second-class citizens in *every* way possible (after it was us who BUILT them, and still continue to be 40-50% of their sales), and Flash in particular is extremely poor on the Mac (even compared to the buggy and crash-prone Windows version!).

Steve may be the one pulling the trigger, but the message he's bringing didn't start with him: "Adobe: fix flash or be replaced."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad sales may force their hand or be left behind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
The iPad will sell, just like the iPhone and iPod touch have sold. No, it's Adobe who's losing here, and it's absolutely delicious to me. (Begin crazy old lady rantings) In the good old days, Adobe loved Apple, but it seems like in the late 90s and early 2000s, they became Windows shills because it was in fashion, even though most of their sales came from Macintosh users. And the sad part is that it's not just Flash... it's Adobe's entire lineup.

Adobe's products, while comprehensive are not the quality that they used to be on Macintosh, while the Windows versions are always tip-top, while it used to be that pride was taken in both releases. I guess those days are over, since they can be like everybody else and treat Mac users like crumbs. I'm betting that they're still sore over iMovie and Final Cut Pro coming along and slitting the throat of their sales of Premiere... which I hated using anyway.

Despite the decline in quality, it's because of that bad-old stigma of "using unprofessional software" nobody will vote with their pocketbooks and support software that could just as easily beat The Shop at its own game. That, I think is what makes me sad. Entire industries have locked themselves in because of mindset, thus requiring mega-expensive, poor-quality software be purchased.

Why do so few people try to make a comprehensive image processing application that can compete with the Shop? Because they know that nobody would buy it anyway. Professionals have this idea in their head that if it's not Photoshop, you can't use it or people will laugh at you and kill your dog.

And to top it all off, Adobe is arrogant. They got to the top by selling a good product to people who used the Macintosh. Now they're just reaming you because they have you as a captive audience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The iPad will sell, just like the iPhone and iPod touch have sold. No, it's Adobe who's losing here, and it's absolutely delicious to me. (Begin crazy old lady rantings) In the good old days, Adobe loved Apple, but it seems like in the late 90s and early 2000s, they became Windows shills because it was in fashion, even though most of their sales came from Macintosh users. And the sad part is that it's not just Flash... it's Adobe's entire lineup.

Adobe's products, while comprehensive are not the quality that they used to be on Macintosh, while the Windows versions are always tip-top, while it used to be that pride was taken in both releases. I guess those days are over, since they can be like everybody else and treat Mac users like crumbs. I'm betting that they're still sore over iMovie and Final Cut Pro coming along and slitting the throat of their sales of Premiere... which I hated using anyway.

Despite the decline in quality, it's because of that bad-old stigma of "using unprofessional software" nobody will vote with their pocketbooks and support software that could just as easily beat The Shop at its own game. That, I think is what makes me sad. Entire industries have locked themselves in because of mindset, thus requiring mega-expensive, poor-quality software be purchased.

Why do so few people try to make a comprehensive image processing application that can compete with the Shop? Because they know that nobody would buy it anyway. Professionals have this idea in their head that if it's not Photoshop, you can't use it or people will laugh at you and kill your dog.

And to top it all off, Adobe is arrogant. They got to the top by selling a good product to people who used the Macintosh. Now they're just reaming you because they have you as a captive audience.

Well said! +Rep!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

well said +2

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I haven't got that big a problem with Flash ... but (like Steve) I have a *huge* problem with Flash *on the Mac.*
To be fair, you are right. Flash isn't as terrible on Windows as Windows is the priority in Flash design. OS X in many ways is an afterthought. Even Linux got preferential treatment getting the first 64-bit build of Flash and if marketshare is the determining factor in priority (I assume this is the reason that Windows gets the better builds), why does OS X get bad builds when it has a much larger marketshare than Linux on the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

+4 but did you really say " kill your dog " ? LOL

Clay

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Most people tey to keep their customers happy so they get more sales. But not Adobe. Apple users are many many of Adobe's customers. And Adobe does not keep us happy. They only guilt us into using their photoshop. If there was a better alternative made tomorrow, I'd ditch photoshop in a flash. (haha flash joke I know.)

I'm surprised Apple has not come up wth their own solution. They have Final Cut for video, Logic Pro for music, iwork for officework, etc etc. I'm not sure if Aperture is an suitable replacement for Photoshop. I've never used Aperture. But from what I've read, it is not.

I think Apple has a goldmine here. To make a photoshop killing App. Release it for OS X and windows. And price it right and I think it'll beat Photoshop. People are sick of adobe and their treatment of their Apple customers. We are looking for a way to ditch Adobe totally. And whoever makes that way will win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm surprised Apple has not come up wth their own solution. They have Final Cut for video, Logic Pro for music, iwork for officework, etc etc. I'm not sure if Aperture is an suitable replacement for Photoshop. I've never used Aperture. But from what I've read, it is not.

I think Apple has a goldmine here. To make a photoshop killing App. Release it for OS X and windows. And price it right and I think it'll beat Photoshop. People are sick of adobe and their treatment of their Apple customers. We are looking for a way to ditch Adobe totally. And whoever makes that way will win.

Apple recognizes that the vast majority of its users just want basic photo editing, which you can get with iPhoto. Aperture offers some more photo editing features for professionals, but it certainly is no Photoshop.

If Apple were truly interested in competing against Adobe, all it would have to do is buy up Pixelmator and slap an Apple sticker on it. It's a very capable alternative and looks very much like a typical Apple application, so it would fit in nicely with the Apple lineup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.