Help! Gray Startup on my new Powermac G4

Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a used Powermac G4 (MDD) from eBay. When I connect it to my LCD monitor (via a DVI to VGA cable), the screen goes completely gray. I am somewhat disappointed since I've been waiting for this machine for quite a while. I tried most of the common troubleshooting tips (Holding the Shift key during startup, zapping the PRAM, trying a different set a keyboard and mouse, and even starting it up with no keyboard or mouse) and there is still no go. Also, sometimes it doesn't even start. So, I have to switch outlets. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like that Powermac G4 you purchased has several problems. And since it's a fairly old machine, you can expect more problems.

Did the seller give you the original install disks with the machine? If he did, use the install disk to boot the machine (if possible) and then run the Apple Hardware Test. See the following article. LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you did not receive the discs as chscag suggested, you are up for much more expense alas. Also consider changing the PRAM battery, and then again reset the PRAM MDD models have problems booting with a flat PRAM battery.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! My seller didn't include any disks. It runs 10.5. I have 10.3 disks, but I don't want to install 10.3. Will that work for the hardware test?

I personally think it is the power supply. I will contact the seller and attempt to either exchange the machine for another unit or return it and get a refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
What's wrong with 10.3? 10.3 will run perfectly well on there. As long as you aren't using that on another Macintosh, then it's fine.

And this proves Jamie's Law #203: Don't buy electronic things on eBay.

OP
J
Reaction score
Mostly because Firefox and other applications I like to use require at least 10.4. That is why I bought a machine shipped with 10.5. I was looking really forward to getting this machine, oh well. The seller sells a bunch of Powermac's, he has a nice feedback rating, and basically everyone raves about the computer working great. Of course, I just had to get the one that doesn't work. Why does eBay always seem to fail on me?

I am contacting the seller right now and hopefully I can get it returned or exchanged.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you did not receive the discs as chscag suggested, you are up for much more expense alas. Also consider changing the PRAM battery, and then again reset the PRAM MDD models have problems booting with a flat PRAM battery.

Would it be worth it for me to try replacing the PRAM battery before sending it back? Since I don't have time to wait for a battery online, where else can I purchase this battery at? Should I try bringing it into the Genius Bar?

I just contacted the seller. I told him I want to get this sorted out. It's a beautiful machine and I want to get it working!

THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!

Reaction score
Pull out the video card and reseat it. You can get a battery at Radio Shack or Batteries Plus.

C

chas_m

It cannot be the power supply as you suggest. If the power supply was faulty, you would not be getting any power to the machine (thus the name "power supply"). Ergo, the power supply is working.

You should at the very least boot from the 10.3 DVD you have, don't install it but use Disk Utility to see if the hard drive is visible and do checks/repairs on it.

OP
J
Reaction score
harnett to

The seller replied today. I will be speaking to their Apple Certified Technician on Monday. I took the battery out and brought it to Radioshack. They tested it and it appears to be working fine. I reset the PMU and had no luck. What does it mean when I plug the monitor into another outlet and the computer goes on? Is that a power supply issue? The house's wiring is pretty good. When I opened the computer, it was very clean inside. I just don't know what it is. Could it be the DVI to VGA adapter? I bought it used on Amazon right after I purchased the computer.

Reaction score
Do you have the video card that was in the machine? put it back in. Does the machine chime at start up. Check that the Ram is all seated. If you got the wrong video card it will not boot up. The battery has +/- terminals dont put it in backwards.

OP
J
Reaction score
I removed and put the RAM back in. The video card is in. What do you mean by repositioning it? Does that usually help? It looks like the video card is the original. Could that have to do with the power problems as well?

It does chime. Sometimes it will come up with a gray screen and sometimes nothing comes up. I just hope I don't have to ship this machine back, but that's what it looks like.:(

Reaction score
All I know is if the video card is not seated all the way down you get the grey screen or if the card is not Mac compatible or is bad the machine will not start up.

OP
J
Reaction score
purchased dunoc

Thanks for your advice Mac SK! I may try that. So, I will just pull it out and place it back into place? Possibly, it could have gotten dislodged in shipping.

OP
J
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it just has a DVI and a ADC port. Could a faulty DVI to VGA adapter cause these problems?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it just has a DVI and a ADC port. Could a faulty DVI to VGA adapter cause these problems?

Yes anything is possible at this stage of the game. Disconnect the IDE cable to the HD and start it back up and see if you get the flashing ? mark. If that works you will know its not a video card problem but a HD one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to see what the tech people say tomorrow. What's the worst that could've occurred during shipping? It was packed very well. And, inside is immaculate. Several internal components are labeled with "OK." Could a bad Combo Drive halt the computer from starting up?

It seems like the weird electrical problem has been fixed though. I think the monitor I was using could've been causing those problems. It has been a quirky monitor in the past. I hooked the Powermac up to my newer LCD monitor and now it seems to start every time I press power. Which is good! Now, to fix the biggest problem, the gray startup screen! I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hook it up to the New LCD and unplug the Hard Drive ribbon. See if you get the Flashing ? mark. This is the way Tech people do it. You unplug stuff until the machine starts up and then you know if is a hardware issue or what. If that dose not work unplug the optical drive and try to start it up. If none of this works ,unplug the computer and push the Cuda button on the Motherboard, Its silver and on your model may be close to the CPU(Hey Im not in theses machines every day so no letters please)
Press it and plug the power back in and try to start up.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hook it up to the New LCD and unplug the Hard Drive ribbon. See if you get the Flashing ? mark. This is the way Tech people do it. You unplug stuff until the machine starts up and then you know if is a hardware issue or what. If that dose not work unplug the optical drive and try to start it up. If none of this works ,unplug the computer and push the Cuda button on the Motherboard, Its silver and on your model may be close to the CPU(Hey Im not in theses machines every day so no letters please)
Press it and plug the power back in and try to start up.

You're Right! It's the hard drive. The seller has agreed to swap drives. I pressed the CUDA button before, is that okay? Will I be okay with the new Hard Drive?

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ASSISTANCE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.