Mac Book vs. Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Looking to get a laptop but can't decide whether Mac Book or Mac Book Pro.

What's the pros and cons with the mac book pro.

I see the hard drive is only 160gb on the pro compared to 250 on the mac book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
All the material you need to make a comparison is here.
Apple - Mac

Unless you had other questions in mind.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Ok, here goes.

MBP has an SD slot and firewire ports. Also has the backlit keyboard and is upgradable to 8 gigs of RAM. It suffers from having a smaller hard drive, however that can be upgraded for an extra fee. It also, obviously has the tougher aluminum unibody design, as opposed to the weaker polycarbonate unibody design. This is a plus and a minus, as wireless signals apparently work better through the plastic body, however, the aluminum is far more durable (plus, it just looks so pimp).

Other than that, they are essentially the same machine. If the aluminum body doesn't matter, and you're not going to do any hardcore computing, and don't need those extra slots, I'd suggest saving the money and going with the white unibody. Otherwise, I'd go pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
Don't think the polycarbonate is flimsy, though. It is a unibody design and feels way more solid than your typical PC laptop.

I made the jump to a MB in December and have been very pleased. Like you, I didn't see any compelling reason to go pro....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Well, I went pro, but it was a very tough call. I loved the aesthetics of the pro right off the bat, but I felt it was silly to spend a bunch of money on that alone. After weighing my options, it was the firewire that really sealed the deal for me. I don't do any hardcore video editing or anything, but I do splice the occasional wedding video, so I needed that option. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have gone with the standard macbook.

Reaction score
Ya I feel that it really depends what you're using the computer for. For most, 8gb's of ram would be incredibly unnecessary. As for the hardrive, I find it to be much more effective to replace that with third party hardware. My macbook hardrive was half the price of the one apple would sell for the same price, yet mine is 7200rpm as opposed to 5400rpm. APPARENTLY, it also runs quieter and cooler, though I have no way of knowing if this is true.

Only reason I kind of would like to get the macbook pro is to get that 3ghz of processing speed, though the price is a huge turnoff...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
This is a plus and a minus, as wireless signals apparently work better through the plastic body
I think the wireless antenna is the aluminium enclosure, at least on the non unibody macbook pro it is. Also i perfer the MBP because of its aluminium, backlit keyboard and the higher amount of RAM. The Macbook does run much cooler and has a smooth feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Don't think the polycarbonate is flimsy,

My old White MB isnt flimsy in any ........ I can pick it up from any corner with a dvd playing with no contortion what so ever.
And i am thinking the new unibody MB is as solid or more so :)

TM

OP
C
Reaction score
I won't be using the Macbook, pro or not, for hard core computing, mainly editing some sound files, photos, e-mail and internet, general computing really.

Thanks for your help, still undecided :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
If thats all youre going to be doing with it, id say save the money and get the Macbook. Its a higher HD so you wont need to upgrade unless youre saving crazy amounts of sound files.

I was in the same dilemma as you a few weeks ago and ended up getting the white one...haven't regretted it for a second :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.