Which external hard drive to get??? Suggestions??

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I'm looking to get a 1TB external hd to hook up to my new mac mini that I use as my media center. I would most likely use it to dump my entire itunes library and iphoto. I would like it to be firewire 800 and quiet.

I've just started looking, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Whatever choice you make, make sure the case it is in has a fan. I bought one of the Freeagent drives and it had a 1TB Seagate inside. It ran quite warm so I split the case and used a generic case with a built in fan. If you are hooking to a Mac perhaps looking for a Firewire connection may(should) increase throughput for a media centre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Personally, never had a problem with hard disk enclosures without fans..... and I've had and supplied many.

Just adds to the noise...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's one of the best drives for external use. Highly recommended by MacWorld.

OWC (Other World Computing) LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac

I own this... I love it. Quiet and has a nice little lighting system.

Its been very fast (6.2GB was copied in under two mins) and like I said its very quiet. They top it off with a five year warranty too, which while it may never fail or you might have something different by then... is still two more years than Western Digital gives you (mind you I like both brands, so don't take that as a knock at WD, they make great drives too).

C

chas_m

Whatever choice you make, make sure the case it is in has a fan. I bought one of the Freeagent drives and it had a 1TB Seagate inside. It ran quite warm so I split the case and used a generic case with a built in fan. If you are hooking to a Mac perhaps looking for a Firewire connection may(should) increase throughput for a media centre.

You probably yourself through a lot of work for nothing. I have generally found that fanless cases work fine *IF* they are in a ventilated area *and* are set in such a way that no one side is blocked (by this I generally mean "vertically"). Western Digital cases, for example (I'm thinking of the My Book series here), seem to work MUCH better if you lift them up a bit so that air can flow underneath them.

Fanless drives are OF COURSE going to feel warmer than non-fanless ones, but what you are feeling is the heat *dissipating.* The back-top of any iMac would feel much the same way for the same reason. They are both using "convection cooling."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.