Macbook pro will not power on at all

Reaction score
my 85W power adapter appeared to die this week so i bought a new non-apple version from amazon, although i'm not sure that is relevant. The laptop meanwhile ran out of charge completely. Now i have the new adapter and my mac will not respond at all. the adapter light is permantly green (apart from the first time i plugged it in where it went orange but the mac still wouldnt respond so I unplugged it and plugged it in again). it won't respond with the battery removed and ac power attached either. I've left it for a while plugged in to no avail. the battery lights are all off and the button on the battery does nothing. It continued to work fine after the adapter broke earlier in the week, until it ran out of battery. I'm completely stuck.

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have any idea why the original power adapter went bad in the first place?

If you had some sort of electrical surge at the location you had the laptop plugged in (home, work, school)...that could have blown the power adapter & damaged something inside the computer...which could explain why the new power adapter isn't powering up the laptop.

Just a thought,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the responses. I'll check out the adapter, although the fact that the green light goes on at all (on the magsafe plug that is) suggests that its not likely to be that. I wonder what my chances of getting Apple to fix this free of charge are, I have no warranty left or applecare, although the **** thing is only 2 years ond...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
the fact that the green light goes on at all (on the magsafe plug that is) suggests that its not likely to be that.
Not necessarily!

I wonder what my chances of getting Apple to fix this free of charge are, I have no warranty left or applecare, although the **** thing is only 2 years ond...

Not very good!

Did you reset the SMC, etc?

OP
P
Reaction score
I assume that I cannot do any software or firmware reset when the laptop will not accept power and is completely out of battery, is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not without going somewhere that you have access tp a working adapter... I should have thought of that in my earlier post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.