• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Future Apple MacBooks could have screens backlit by the sun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, the patent isn't too old (although kinda funny that they are digging back into Apple patent past to get current articles - as this patent was filed in Sept. 08 you'd think they would have written the article sooner ;) )

But, honestly, with that design, I don't think I could deal with it - laptops are already many times bigger then I would want to deal with, but to have an armature out the back end to collect sunlight (or other artificial light that would be in the given room) would be a bit much. But that's me - I'm sure some people out there would love that type of tech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Potentially cool.

What I want to see though is super batteries that run a ridiculously long time before needing a charge.

Reaction score
A fantastic idea. But..wellllll..I have my doubts about it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I propose a special seat cushion that performs continuous liposuction to supply a built-in fuel cell. For most of us that have passed the age of 40 that would be a truly renewable energy source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's a pretty cool idea, and not nearly as impossible as you guys think... More likely applied to something else, like an ipad type device when they figure out how to store the electronic guts in the bezel around the outside.

I dunno. The future of computing is cool as heck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
And monkeys might come flying out of my... :)

C

chas_m

As some of the poster above have more drolly noted, Apple patents lots of ideas but doesn't always use them, or doesn't always use them as expected. Check out the history of "stacks" (which finally appeared in a hugely modified way in Leopard) as but one example.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed with the above.
Even if the ideas in some of Apple's patents never see the light of day in a computer, it shows Apple is willing to think outside of the box. Be original and think of new funky ideas to solve our computing issues or just simply take what is already great and try to make it fantastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
ive often wondered why laptops dont have solar cells on them. I know it wouldn't provide that much power, but it would provide enough to power the backlight LEDs at least, Which would be worth doing if the are potentially going to go through the trouble of attaching all that gubbins to reflect sun light through the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.