File Sharing with Other Users on the Same Mac

Reaction score
I want others on the same computer to be able to see and access certain folders.

I go to:
System Preferences
Sharing
(highlight) File Sharing
I then add a folder (to the Shared Folders box) I want certain users on the same computer to be able to see and add to.
I then add the users (in the Users box) and set their permission levels.
I go to Options, and select Share Files and Folders Using AFP.
The green bubble is on and says: Other users can access shared folders on this computer at "Jeff's iMac"

The trouble is, when another user logs on, under Shared, the only thing there is my Time Capsule (which they can not access). I have to be missing something easy and obvious but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't really want to put this folder (or others) in my Shared folder (I tried that and it worked) because then I lose the organization I have by having pictures in my pictures folder, music in my music folder, etc.

I am standing in the window about to JUMP! Any help is appreciated.
Blue skies-
Jeff

Reaction score
Isn't this just a little too complicated? There has to be an easier way.

Reaction score
help. i have a imac 27 with OSX 10.6.4.

been trying to follow the actions on said by the link
the "sudo chown admin:friday Friday" command comes up with

chown: friday: Invalid argument

im getting quite annoyed with the terminal system and not being able to share the itunes library and iphoto library. with my wife and kids.

please help..........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB HD
easier way??

Is there no easier solution to this?? I'm having the same problem. Trying to set up user accounts so my husband and I can share our MacBook Pro. I want us to be able to access all the same files, for photos, documents, iTunes, etc. I went through file sharing, but that hasn't worked. Is the shared folder the only option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB HD
Alright, after working on this for half a day, I figured out a solution that works and is fairly simple. I wonder why this is not so obvious and user-friendly as nearly every other aspect of using a mac...

Select the folder you want to share between users. Right click and select "Get info". At the bottom it says "Sharing & Permissions". Click the "+" to add the users you want to have access, and whether you want them to Read & Write, Read Only, etc. Then, I clicked the little gear and selected "Apply to enclosed items..." so that the access would be the same for any folder within that folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.