Graphics Card Upgrade

Reaction score
Howdie,

I will soon be blessed with my first Mac;
Apple iMac 3.06GHz w/ 27" Display MB952ll/A

Unfortunately I was not able to configure one or get one with the 512 MB Radion HD 4670 graphics card.

I really haven't played any games in over a year but when StarCraft 2 comes out in June, I do intend to play it from time to time.

I'm a long-time PC gamer and although I've been "out of the game" for a while, I sure do apprecaite a good graphics card.

Although it will run SC2 (but on pretty low settings), the 256 HD 4670 isn't gonna satisfy my taste :)

Now, I saw I can get the ATI Radeon HD 4670 512 MB version for under $100 aftermarket so that's good, however, I'm willing to spend a bit more.

So with that said, and being the mac virgin that I am, what are my options? I'm pretty sure there's no room for a SLI/Crossfire 2x or 3x setup in the iMac :D Not to mention upgrading the power supply.

So if someone has any pointers of a site / guide or experience with upgrading Video card and what my options are, that'd be awesome.

Thanks guys and I'm glad to be a MacDaddy finally :) Now I can never go back!

Product Features:
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
With 1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB shared L2 cache and 3.06GHz processor speed.
4GB DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Slot-loading DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
27" LED-backlit TFT-LCD widescreen display with up to 2560 x 1440 resolution
Features wide 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles, 375 cd/m² brightness and IPS technology.
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage for your data and fast read/write speeds.
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics
With 256MB GDDR3 memory for impressive images. Mini DisplayPort output. Supports DVI, VGA and dual-link DVI connections and external DisplayPort sources (requires cables and adapters, not included).
1 FireWire port (800 Mbps) and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Along with built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) for quick and simple connection of digital peripherals.
Built-in iSight webcam and built-in microphone
For video chatting and Web conferencing.
Built-in stereo speakers with two 17W digital amplifiers
For crisp, clear sound.
Built-in high-speed AirPort Extreme wireless LAN card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Allows you to connect to the Web without cables. Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With iLife '09 (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), iTunes, iChat, Front Row, Photo Booth, Time Machine and more.

-------------

Addition/Edited:
I forgot to mention. Although it's not that essential. I have TWO 24" screens that I'd like to hook up if possible. I know I can hook up 1 external monitor with the standard video card but which video cards that will be supported in my iMac will also have 2 external monitor slots? I'd like to be able to do something different on each monitor so splitting the 1 external VGA won't cut it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
The iMac's video circuitry is not upgradable. The 256MB card will be just fine for Starcraft 2. The Zerglings will still look like Zerglings at 1280x800 :p

OP
M
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the response although it wasn't the response I was hoping for hehe but simple enough.

I can still buy and swap-in the 512 MB version I would presume right? No problems there?

And what about a Mac Pro? I'm sure such a beast would have upgrade options for graphics cards right? Not that I have the money for it but it'd be good to know for the future :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
No you cant upgrade the graphics card on a iMac. Its soldered onto the mainboard. If you want a new card you have to buy a new iMac. Or change the motherboard somehow...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No you cant upgrade the graphics card on a iMac. Its soldered onto the mainboard. If you want a new card you have to buy a new iMac. Or change the motherboard somehow...

Or be an "expert" at removing soldered electronics and soldering a new one in place. I doubt very seriously that any after market board will a)be the proper size, b)have the proper connections and c)be flashed to work with the EFI found in your iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And what about a Mac Pro? I'm sure such a beast would have upgrade options for graphics cards right? Not that I have the money for it but it'd be good to know for the future

Yep, the Mac Pro is definitely upgradeable. Save your pennies. ;)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is the way to go a Mac Pro. Towers are very upgradeable from optical and hard drives, graphics, memory etc all in the twinkling of an eye. These others are simply glossy toys of convenience IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.