Memory issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MACBOOK PRO - 2.8Ghz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
I have a brand new (3 weeks old 15" Macbook Pro - 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB hd, Both Graphics cards) and every time I check my activity monitor to see what resources I'm using up, it consistently says that I am using 2.2GB of ram when I literally have nothing open except the activity monitor. I don't understand this at all. How can I be using that much ram on nothing???

Any insight or help with this would be extremely helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
It's normal. Forget about it, for serious. My Mac Pro runs about half-full all the time. There's way more going on behind that pretty purple aurora than you'll ever imagine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MACBOOK PRO - 2.8Ghz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Ok. It just seemed odd to me. So if I try to run Logic Pro 9 with that little amount of ram will it bog down do you think cause I bought Logic Studio and it will be here in a week so I'm a little concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it won't. You don't have "a little amount of RAM." Mac OS X will take care of itself. RAM isn't like a bottle that fills up linearly. The operating system will dynamically load what is needed at any moment and page what isn't needed off to disk. Like I said, there's way more going on back there than you'll ever imagine. If I could just put it this way...

>BONG!<

Welcome to Macintosh.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Thats good to know. I have been thinking about upgrading my Ram since I got it anyways cause I know the more Ram I have the better my Audio apps like Pro Tools and Logic will run better but what do you recommend. Do you recommend getting some lesser expensive Ram like $375 for the 8GB Ram or going the expensive way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the expensive way? Apple? LOL

Just use it with 4GB for now. I think you'll find that's more than enough. Please remember I used to do the same things on computers with 512MB and things were just fine.

Just feel lucky that you don't have to deal with preemptive multitasking, manually-configured virtual memory, and memory limits per application. That's REAL Macintosh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.