lock on system

O

october

I'm full of questions today..

with my pb at work I have a password set on any changes or if the screen saver comes on, but is there a simple way to just lock it immediately but still have it connected and everything running sort of like ctrl/alt/delete on windows?

I don't have any fear of someone taking it, but when i walk away for a few minutes it would be nice to have it locked so no one fools with it without having to set the screen saver to come on after a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
october said:
I'm full of questions today..

with my pb at work I have a password set on any changes or if the screen saver comes on, but is there a simple way to just lock it immediately but still have it connected and everything running sort of like ctrl/alt/delete on windows?

I don't have any fear of someone taking it, but when i walk away for a few minutes it would be nice to have it locked so no one fools with it without having to set the screen saver to come on after a minute.

System Preferences --> Desktop & Screen Saver --> Hot Corners...

Pick a corner that you'd like to have fire up the screen saver. Move your mouse there and voila.

I use the lower right corner to engage my screen saver. When I get up to leave my desk, I move my mouse there and it's locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hot corners will work, but it's a crazy way to do it. A screen saver is not meant to be a security feature.

Enable Fast User Switching (in Accounts) and choose Login Window when you want to leave.

OP
O

october

technologist said:
Hot corners will work, but it's a crazy way to do it. A screen saver is not meant to be a security feature.

Enable Fast User Switching (in Accounts) and choose Login Window when you want to leave.

and this wont disconnect me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
october said:
and this wont disconnect me?

No. Your stuff will still be there, happily running in the background.

If you want to use this option, go to System Preferences --> Accounts and click on the lock. You'll be asked for your password and the "Login Options" area will be un-greyed. Click that, then select the check box for "Enable Fast User Switching."

At this point, you will notice your name next to the clock (and to the left of the Spotlight icon if you're running Tiger) in the upper right corner of your screen. (You can change what's displayed by choosing another option under "View As" under the box you just checked.)

Exit this window, and when you want to lock your computer click on your name and choose "Login Window." That will bring you to the username/password screen.

Props to technologist for bringing up this suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.