External CD Drive for Ripping CD's - need Recommendations

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so this my first post.

Anyway, I have a 1st generation Mac Book Pro which still amazes me after almost 5 years and I've recently begun to rip my CD collection to FLAC using XLD. I have read that this heavy duty ripping will probably wear out my internal CD Drive after a while.

I was wondering what some of the best External CD drives are for ripping CD's to a Mac would be... I've read that the old Plextor 230a drives were supposed to be the best but those are several years old at this point.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No specific model springs to mind, but those Plextor drives are very good.
Basically avoid cheap unknown brands and keep the lens cleaned regularly, and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Sorry to slightly change subject, but does the 'wearing out' of drives used for ripping apply to the current range unibodies and DVD ripping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Like Kevriano no specific models jump to mind as significantly better than others, but I've always had good luck with Panasonic's. You can buy the drives and cases separately and do a build your own for less money, much like putting together your own external hard-dive.

My only real recommendation is to NOT buy a USB based drive unless it is USB 3. USB 2 is too slow and your only slowing down the process of getting data to/from the drive. Go with Firewire 400 or 800,USB-3 or eSata

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sorry to slightly change subject, but does the 'wearing out' of drives used for ripping apply to the current range unibodies and DVD ripping?

All drives wear out eventually, fact. It's down to how well you look after them.
Clean them regularly, and avoid cheap discs and scratched discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.