GIF's on Mac

Reaction score
Should I be able to see a .gif file move on Mac. When I open a .gif on my MacBook (Snow Leopard) I just see a static image. Similarly, I used a .gif for my avatar on an online forum and it is static. Is this a matter of some setting or do .gif files only move on PC's? I know that sounds dumb but nevertheless .gif's moved on my old Dell (may it not rest in peace.)

If I preview a .gif file on my Mac it shows a static image and a sidebar of the 3 photos that make up the .gif file.

This is not a life threatening emergency but I'm curious and miss my little .gif's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
Quicktime will play animated gifs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are talking about Animated Gif's. Safari will show them and I believe the freeware Xee Image Viewer will also. Brb with more info.

Yes, Xee Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Every browser I've ever used will render animated .gifs, but Preview - if that's what you've been using - will not. Nor do some email applications with some .gifs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.