finder icon disappeared from dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel, 2 GB, 240 GB/16G ipod nano
where the finder icon usually sits is just a blank space although i can click on it and if i hover over the blank space where the dock finder icon used to be it says finder, but no icon?

i tried rebooting and i tried logging out and logging back in any other suggestions? im running leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Did you try any sort of icon customizing? Like with CandyBar or Icondropper or the like?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try any sort of icon customizing? Like with CandyBar or Icondropper or the like?

i tried to use clear dock by replacing the 'resources' folder in coreservices->dock but i was told i need permission from an admin, even though i am the only user on my computer. also, that was like 3+ weeks before the finder icon vanished

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Someone please chime in if im wrong, but you DONT play with anything that has services in the title. Im thinking you might have to do a reinstall of the OS but back up everything before hand.
Dont do anything though before we get this 100% But im sure if you play with anything like that you are flirting with danger ...

Did you get to replace the coreservices folder in the end ??

TM

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone please chime in if im wrong, but you DONT play with anything that has services in the title. Im thinking you might have to do a reinstall of the OS but back up everything before hand.
Dont do anything though before we get this 100% But im sure if you play with anything like that you are flirting with danger ...

Did you get to replace the coreservices folder in the end ??

TM

no, i tried to replace just the resources folder but it never let me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OK well disregard the reinstall the OS until we can sort your problem out :) Sorry if i worried you.
Mind you i had similar problems when i 1st got my MB and my only solution was to do a Archive and Install .. :( But honestly having your Finder not in the dock doesnt sit to well as ive tried numerous times to remove it and it sits there by default ......... See what other have to say

TM

Reaction score
Possible solution

Remember, Back up before trying any of these solutions!

Use Force Quit Application to force the Finder to quit; when it asks, have it reopen Finder.

You might try purchasing a copy of DiskWarrior this program has saved my bacon more than once when strange things began to occur.

Another solution, that only works if you have Time Machine installed is just go back to before the problem occurred and recover the Finder.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
time machine is not configured, i tried the force quit thing and logging off/ logging in and now the trash can icon disappeared what have i done!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... Wow. And let me guess...

You have NO backup!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is it self-destructing? is there any hope

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, back up your data. It's just a little weirdness with the icons that'll take a re-install to fix most likely, though it could be a damaged filesystem. In any event, make a backup of your data.

You need to do it anyway. Regularly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
suppose i don't have an external harddrive? im assuming i need to go buy a mac external hd asap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some CDRs or a USB flash drive will work, too. Your computer isn't going to just randomly blow up, hon. Chill out :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some CDRs or a USB flash drive will work, too. Your computer isn't going to just randomly blow up, hon. Chill out :)

thats good news! so the next stupid questions i have are 1) how do i make a backup (with time machine?) 2) how large of a file will it be? i have a flash drive but its only 1GB i think also i have an ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't use Time Machine with CDs or a flash disk. Just plug the flash disk in and copy the files you want to back up. To burn them to CD, put it in. It'll ask if you want to burn with Finder. Say yes.

Copy the files to the CD icon on your desktop. Right-click it and select "Burn."

There. Done! :D Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.