APExtreme, Ad-Hoc, Internet...

T

t3knix

Was wondering if there was a way to acces the internet through an ad-hoc connection and not just access network users without accesing the computer that the ad-hoc hosted on... I can connect to my 2 different ad-hoc wireless networks and my main WAN/LAN. Ive read a couple places that its possible to use a static IP on the computer that is connected to ad-hoc and access the Internet even if its not shared by ad-hoc host computer? Airport gets 169. IP when conected to both ad-hocs - why does it give it a 169 instead of a 192. or 10. ? Signal strength is great (lol im right next to it) Any tips/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated... THis isnt something that HAS to be figured out as I can use my main wan - just kinda pokin around and playin with stuff. Thanks again - appreciate the feedback :black:

Reaction score
You're getting a APIPA address. A computer that is configured to use DHCP can automatically assign itself an Internet Protocol (IP) address if a DHCP server is not available. For example, this could occur on a network without a DHCP server, or on a network if a DHCP server is temporarily down for maintenance.

With this feature, a computer can assign itself an Internet Protocol (IP) address in the event that a DHCP server is not available or does not exist on the network. This feature makes configuring and supporting a small Local Area Network (LAN) running TCP/IP less difficult.

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. As a result, APIPA provides an address that is guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.

In other words, your pc is not seeing the network or DHCP is not assigning an IP address.

ed724

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.