How to change Mac username

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Alright, firstly I want to apologize for having two threads up here at the same time, but their two different questions which still need answering.

So you know the folder with a house for an icon that's in the users folder? Well when you first startup your mac you choose a name for it, but is there anyway to change it? I looked around, but I can't find a way.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
IIRC, system preferences > Accounts

Select your account from the list on the left and that will have a box with your username in it where you can change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Alright, firstly I want to apologize for having two threads up here at the same time, but their two different questions which still need answering.

No apology necessary for multiple threads at the same time, for different questions. Just don't post the same thing in multiple forums on this site. In fact, you may get better results by separating the unrelated issues.

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you change your home folder name, you may have trouble locating items, and it can (will) really mess up your privilages/permissions.
So, follow this article.
Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name
Oh, thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm probably not going to change it because it's not a big deal and I don't want to mess anything up, but would the Mac OS 10.5 part of the tutorial apply to OS 10.6 too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It would still apply, however, you can create a new admin account, move everything you want in there, and then once you know that it is fully functioinal, tried and tested, delete your old admin account.

C

chas_m

People finding this thread with a view to changing the short user name (the "Home Folder" name) should be aware that this involves SIGNIFICANT risk if you don't follow Apple's directions carefully.

In Leopard and Snow Leopard, Apple actually has a way for you to change these names safely, but in earlier versions of Mac OS X (Tiger, Panther et al) it is EXTREMELY complicated and STRONGLY not advised. Simply renaming the Home Folder not only won't work, but will divorce you from your data and require some SERIOUS expertise to marry things back together. DON'T DO THAT WHATEVER YOU DO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Simply renaming the Home Folder not only won't work, but will divorce you from your data and require some SERIOUS expertise to marry things back together.

Why didn't they (Apple) make that impossible?!!!

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, changing mine isn't that important and I don't have anything to back up my data, so I'm just gonna stay put like this. Thanks for the help and the advice everyone! Answered my question and any other I might of had perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.