Question about iTunes drivin' me batty ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Ok normally I have no issues with this program, I honestly love it. Today I was trying to burn the "protected" files I've had and can't burn with my MP3 stuff so I CAN burn them with my MP3s and make a nice mix for my car. I have Sony CD-Rs and have never had issues until today. Made the list as I call it the "To Be Converted" list ... and it keeps spitting out the CD saying put in a blank CD. They are blank I made sure (brand new on the dang spindle). Is there something I'm doing wrong? And also if I were to get this to work, will it actually keep the names of the songs and such so when I re-import as MP3 it wont be a blank name that I have to just click and hope I remember the name while listening?

Any help is most appreciated :) Oh I am running a 27" iMac (I believe the specs are on the side under my name)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you tried using an independant burning app, like Burn for example?

OP
clonehappy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Nope, I'm still somewhat new to the macs, and I am one of those kinda gals ... mac is perfect their stuff HAS to work right too lol. Is Burn free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Burn is free, but I believe that it has issues running on 10.6. That's the only reason I haven't installed it yet, as that's what alot of reviews I've read have said. May be problems only with the update, though, and not the fresh install.

C

chas_m

Ok normally I have no issues with this program, I honestly love it. Today I was trying to burn the "protected" files I've had and can't burn with my MP3 stuff so I CAN burn them with my MP3s and make a nice mix for my car. I have Sony CD-Rs and have never had issues until today. Made the list as I call it the "To Be Converted" list ... and it keeps spitting out the CD saying put in a blank CD. They are blank I made sure (brand new on the dang spindle). Is there something I'm doing wrong? And also if I were to get this to work, will it actually keep the names of the songs and such so when I re-import as MP3 it wont be a blank name that I have to just click and hope I remember the name while listening?

Any help is most appreciated :) Oh I am running a 27" iMac (I believe the specs are on the side under my name)

Wouldn't it be much easier to upgrade the songs from the iTunes store? Not only does this replace the DRM'd ones with DRM-free ones, but they are 2x better quality (256kbps AAC instead of 128kbps AAC) and it makes a BIG difference (and you can convert them to MP3s without hassle as well!). Costs 30¢ per song.

OTOH, if the discs are being spit out IMMEDIATELY, I don't think the song files are at fault here, I think your drive is either "being finicky" or the discs you've bought are too low-quality to be properly read by the laser, which then rejects them thinking there's no real blank disc there. I once had a machine that could NOT accept Memorex discs AT ALL, but loved Verbatim ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I once had a machine that could NOT accept Memorex discs AT ALL, but loved Verbatim ...

Ditto here Chas. In fact two older Mac DVD RW's (one in my iMac G5 and the other Intel Mini) really do not like Memorex DVD's. Never had an issue with Verbatim though.

BTW, I replaced the burner in the G5 after it got really bad and the new one fares much better but I really do not trust a lot of Memorex media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
TDK DVD/CDs have been good for me. I think Chas has it about right. It's either the disc or the files themselves, but I have noticed that certain brands don't play nice with Mac optical drives. If I remember correctly I also have problems with Sony discs. Try a different brand and see if you still have problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.