Returning imac

Reaction score
Hi,

I am returning my imac and I'd like to know how I can reset everything that I've done in the 11 days that I had it. Ie. I want it to be like I had just bought it, when you switch it on it would ask for your initial details etc..

PS. I decided to send back to core 2 duo 27 inch and get the i5 version instead :)

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
You'd have to run a complete wipe (format).

Why, though? They're just going to wipe it and refurb it, anyway.

OP
J
Reaction score
You'd have to run a complete wipe (format).

Why, though? They're just going to wipe it and refurb it, anyway.

Oh, so I don't have to do restore it to it's original state? I'll just delete all my sensitive data off it then (email passwords etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Exactly. It's general recognized, actually, that buying a refurb is the better deal at apple, because they clean the whole thing up, and it goes through a more rigorous inspection process than the new ones go for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would go ahead and erase the hard drive and then reinstall Snow Leopard before returning it. No sense taking chances leaving anything on the machine. Deleting sensitive data is no guaranty that someone can not unerase it.

Use the secure erase feature from Disk Utility. You only have to do one pass.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would go ahead and erase the hard drive and then reinstall Snow Leopard before returning it. No sense taking chances leaving anything on the machine. Deleting sensitive data is no guaranty that someone can not unerase it.

Use the secure erase feature from Disk Utility. You only have to do one pass.

Regards.

I agree completely. All it takes it one dishonest person looking at your data. I have bank account info on my main machine for example. That is something no person should see besides me especially with all the identity theft in todays world!

If you co what Chscag suggested, the iMac will be just like it came out of the box.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Pop in the Snow Leopard CD that came with the iMac, and go through the installation procedure..it'll ask you to restart, do so, and then on the Welcome page, choose Utilities->Disk Utility and then choose Erase on your HD and then Security Options and Zero-out disk and then re-install Snow Leopard (if you want) or just let it be after the erase..

P.S., I've got the i7 27" iMac and you'll love it..though you already know what the screen is like..:)

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Pop in the Snow Leopard CD that came with the iMac, and go through the installation procedure..it'll ask you to restart, do so, and then on the Welcome page, choose Utilities->Disk Utility and then choose Erase on your HD and then Security Options and Zero-out disk and then re-install Snow Leopard (if you want) or just let it be after the erase..

P.S., I've got the i7 27" iMac and you'll love it..though you already know what the screen is like..:)

Regards

Yeah it's awesome. My i5 came today, my bank balance is not so cool until they refund me for my c2d version! I have both of them sitting on my desk just to be cool :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.