installing 1TB drive in unibody macbook, advice.

Reaction score
Hey,

I am going to be installing a 1TB drive into my new white unibody macbook. It currently has the standard 250gb.

can anyone give any tips for this?

I understand HOW to install a harddrive...but not sure how the OSX and software works when re-installing. Is there any activation of OSX that needs to be done, or any deactivation of the current install?

Or can I simply install OSX Snow and its related software on my new drive and go on my way??

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wasn't aware that there was a 1 TB drive that could be used in a Mac notebook computer? To my knowledge the largest available is 640 MB. Are you sure the 1 TB is able to fit in your MacBook? What size is it? Note that any drive placed in your MacBook must be able to fit.... as far as I know, the 1 TB drives that I've seen are 3.5". Your MacBook can not take a drive that large - it has to be 2.5" SATA.

Regards.

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that there was a 1 TB drive that could be used in a Mac notebook computer? To my knowledge the largest available is 640 MB. Are you sure the 1 TB is able to fit in your MacBook? What size is it? Note that any drive placed in your MacBook must be able to fit.... as far as I know, the 1 TB drives that I've seen are 3.5". Your MacBook can not take a drive that large - it has to be 2.5" SATA.

Regards.

They make a 1TB in a 2.5'' but it is a 12.5mm instead of the 9.5mm apple uses, I have heard they will fit.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10296034-1.html

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe a 12.5 MM drive is going to fit in a MacBook or a MBP but I may be wrong. Do you know of anyone who has done it? Or can you quote an article that shows how it can be done? The Apple specifications very definitely call for a 9.5 MM drive.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I didnt actually buy the drive yet, but thats really good info on the dimensions, I will have to be careful. Worst case scenario I will just buy the largest drive that will work in the unibody.

Thanks Guys.

Reaction score
I don't believe a 12.5 MM drive is going to fit in a MacBook or a MBP but I may be wrong. Do you know of anyone who has done it? Or can you quote an article that shows how it can be done? The Apple specifications very definitely call for a 9.5 MM drive.

Regards.

The only one i found had a guy who put it in his optical drive bay...

Reaction score
I didnt actually buy the drive yet, but thats really good info on the dimensions, I will have to be careful. Worst case scenario I will just buy the largest drive that will work in the unibody.

Thanks Guys.

You would probably be better off with a 7200 RPM 500GB drive, it will be faster and a lot cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.