• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

negotiations between Google and China

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That's ok with me. Moves like what their govt' are pulling, will hopefully lead to the demise of China's twisted regime. But.. the people really have to stand up for their human rights.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
China sucks but they own our American ***.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

How right you are.
Personally speaking, I really wish the U.S. would stop purchasing their garbage and stop all trade with them. The way things are going, China is ripe for a U.S. takeover in the foreseeable future. Especially given how our society has totally put the wuss factor into our standard way of living in the last couple of decades. You know... the whole "everything has to be fair", "there are no losers" mind set... Way to take the competition out of our lives, and soften us up for a good a$s kicking !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Perhaps, but they can't really do anything with that. If they sell off US Bonds and Securities or move away from the Dollar they hurt themselves as much or more than they hurt us. After all, we buy most of the junk that is made there so if you kill your own market, you effectively kill yourself. At this point they are more or less tied to us economically and we sink or swim together.

The biggest danger is a government coup by the Chinese Military who will not care about all of this and willingly trash their own country for the military gain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The growing Chinese middle-class will ultimately be the ruling politico's undoing. As India's sea-denial capabilities grow along with their epic military and economic market share, so will the cost of bringing Middle East energy to China. Remember, these folks are their own chief competitors in many industries. And you need energy to fuel these things. The resulting domestic unrest within China will make issues like censoring Google and consolidating Tibet seem insignificant. My bet is that decay from within to maintain unsustainable economic growth, disregarding environmental and human concerns, will ultimately force the Chinese and Russians to blows again in protracted warfare that neither can afford. The Russians are resource wealthy and right next door. Fortunately, China provides the USA with conveniences and cost efficient sourcing, and nothing we need expressly for sustenance. In short, we can live fine without them, and China owning the debt of another (the USA) buys you very little in the end (as evidenced recently in our banking recession). I'm sure whatever successor to Google that is around in 2025 will do just fine from their Hong Kong base of operations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is a case of " Darned if you do and darned if you dont ".

I find this topic very interesting. However, I do not know much about world economics.

OP
M
Reaction score
You guys are SO serious. Did anyone look at the video? I thought it was v. funny.

Lighten up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are SO serious. Did anyone look at the video? I thought it was v. funny.

Lighten up.

While the video its self IS funny, the situation says a LOT about the world's current state of affairs, in many ways. I personally don't find much humor in the way the people of China are treated by their government, and even further, how their govn't craps all over anybody whom seems to have a differing view point on social and human rights issues. It's very sad.

I guess we'd be pretty hypocritical to say how business should be done though, seeing as how we all support Apple, and we know where their products are made, and by whom... Just wish it weren't so. I'd gladly GLADLY pay more to have everything we consume, made in America, by American people. We'd have more jobs, better QC and definitely better customer service. Though I can't say Apple has poor CS.... yet. Just waiting for that outsource to hit.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh I'm in totally agreeance. Even on my low wages I'd gladly pay for Australian made compared to a from a country who removes the rights of freedom from their citizens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it would never happen.

I an ideal world. I would love to see Obama actually use some balls against another country for once and take back jobs from india and China and give them to Americans. I am sick of these companies sourcing out what could be American jobs just to save having to pay an American minimum wage at the lest. But hey, as long as you pay off the real gangsters in congress, then your happy to operate how you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
How right you are.
Personally speaking, I really wish the U.S. would stop purchasing their garbage and stop all trade with them. The way things are going, China is ripe for a U.S. takeover in the foreseeable future. Especially given how our society has totally put the wuss factor into our standard way of living in the last couple of decades. You know... the whole "everything has to be fair", "there are no losers" mind set... Way to take the competition out of our lives, and soften us up for a good a$s kicking !

Doug

They couldn't do that, someone would sue. :D

But I do agree with you. 110%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it would never happen.

I an ideal world. I would love to see Obama actually use some balls against another country for once and take back jobs from india and China and give them to Americans. I am sick of these companies sourcing out what could be American jobs just to save having to pay an American minimum wage at the lest. But hey, as long as you pay off the real gangsters in congress, then your happy to operate how you want.

Frankly, I'm not sure that's really the governments job and I would no want that kind of enforcement from any government that I lived under. That kind of control and protectionism takes away the ability of companies to operate properly and kills the free market on which we survive. After all, the point of a business is to make money, as much money, as posable.

That being said, lets not politicize this thread, again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That being said, lets not politicize this thread, again.

You know that I hate arguing with you, (not that this is an argumentative statement) but... The entire issue IS political in its very nature. So it would actually be pretty hard to make it non-political.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know that I hate arguing with you, (not that this is an argumentative statement) but... The entire issue IS political in its very nature. So it would actually be pretty hard to make it non-political.

Doug

I think we can sidestep it if we stay out of specifics that are not about the Chinese. I think we all agree that China has some pretty Draconian policies and in general we all would disagree with them. The post I responded too became specifically political and is the sort of thing that can lead a thread someplace it doesn't need to go.

Heck, I agreed with your earlier post and told you so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.