Question about ipad's cpu and Hard Drive space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As we all know the Ipad has a 1ghz Apple cpu in in it and 16-64GB Hard Drives in them. My question is, is 1ghz and 64GB enough? Really we live in a world where people complain their 2.8ghz 1TB HD computers are not enough.

This is also targeted at iphone/touch users. As I own neither. Do you think the cup and HD space is sufficiant for the average use of those machines? I always wondered with the ipad, it'll do just what I want it to do. But is 1Ghz enough and is 64GB enough?

[edit] The title should have cpu and Drive and not cup and Drice. Typos by me I know :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Well it's all about making efficient use of modest resources. Simplified OS, simplified apps, and reap the benefits of ultra-portability, serious ease of use, and reasonable cost.

And hey - it wasn't all that long ago that a 1ghz cpu and 16+ gig hard drive was what you got on a bleeding edge desktop. :)

Reaction score
Well the way I see it, an iPad is everything but a computer. I am not sure you will not more hard drive space to browse internet, use documents, listen to your music or watch movies. I think that Apple does everything in purpose. Tho, if you like watching movies and TV Shows, 16GO might be wayyyy not enough if you put some music on it. Movies, especially HD ones, require lots of hard drive space.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And hey - it wasn't all that long ago that a 1ghz cpu and 16+ gig hard drive was what you got on a bleeding edge desktop. :)

Well 2003 was the first imac to ship with a 1ghz cpu. So that's only 7 years ago. And the hard drive shipped was 60GB. So that's less then the ipad at 64GB.

And you have a point there. I did live off a 333mhz imac till like 2006 and it worked just fine for me.

Reaction score
It will never be enough for a full feature computer but with the Ipad's limited OS, Limited Features it should be enough for round 1. I would not be surprised to see Gen 1.5 or Gen 2 bumping up the hardware so that folks can do a bit more heavy lifting (photo editing, Music etc...)

As we all know the Ipad has a 1ghz Apple cpu in in it and 16-64GB Hard Drives in them. My question is, is 1ghz and 64GB enough? Really we live in a world where people complain their 2.8ghz 1TB HD computers are not enough.

This is also targeted at iphone/touch users. As I own neither. Do you think the cup and HD space is sufficiant for the average use of those machines? I always wondered with the ipad, it'll do just what I want it to do. But is 1Ghz enough and is 64GB enough?

[edit] The title should have cpu and Drive and not cup and Drice. Typos by me I know :).

Reaction score
It will never be enough for a full feature computer but with the Ipad's limited OS, Limited Features it should be enough for round 1. I would not be surprised to see Gen 1.5 or Gen 2 bumping up the hardware so that folks can do a bit more heavy lifting (photo editing, Music etc...)

Maybe that photo editing, movie editing is not what the iPad is made to do tho. Yes it would be nice but then people will be asking Apple to add a DVD player, a small keyboard, bigger CPU and more hard drive space....and then you end up with a product that would be totally different.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you'd end up with a macbook and priced liek a macbook too. :).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My question is, is 1ghz and 64GB enough? Really we live in a world where people complain their 2.8ghz 1TB HD computers are not enough.
Probably. You have to remember that people who complain about multi-core 2Ghz+ processors not being fast enough are not the target market for the iPad. On top of that, the iPad isn't meant to do things that require a much faster processor.

As for the storage, that's up to the user. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
The truth is that yes, those are absolutely sufficient, beyond sufficient even, based on the 90% rule.

The iPad is perfectly acceptable for 90% of the things that 90% of people will do. Heck, my iPhone meets the 90% rule.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van you're right. Heck my my imac now is only2.0ghz and I think even it is overkill for most of what I do.

And Jamie you have a point too. I think the only 3 things I currently to that the ipad can not do is: make music, edit photos and play a little World of Warcraft. Heck I could even write my song lyrics on pages for ipad.

So thanks everyone. I think all the evidence here is that the cpu will be ok for what the ipad does. But storage? Hmmmm. I'd need the 32 or 64 simply cause I'd want my music on my ipad. And I could replace my ipod with it :). And best only one movie on it at a time though I'm not a movie watcher.

But I dunno how big the average ipad app will be. I just don't want it to be like my Wii. On way one, wow 10K+ blocks free I'll never fill them. Wow. Buy now a long time later and they are all full and I'mstuck using SD cards for more space.

My whole point is not everyone can get a new ipad every time it is refreshed. So this one would have to be future proofed, well at least a little. And without knowing how big ipad apps will be it'd be hard.

And how big is the average touch/iphone app? A few megabytes each or is it more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I've got exactly 100 apps in my iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder.

18 are between 44KB and 1MB
45 are between 1.1MB and 5MB
25 are 5.1MB to 10MB
9 are 10.1MB to 50MB
2 are 50.1 to 100MB
1 is over 100MB

The one that's over 100MB is a workout app with videos. A random sampling there. Nearly all of them are free apps, too. Maybe... two or three are actually paid.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd need the 32 or 64 simply cause I'd want my music on my ipad. And I could replace my ipod with it :).
This is why I believe that you should be able to view the contents of your shared iTunes libraries on the network. That would be fantastic for when you use it at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
My dad still uses his 700Mhz eMac everyday and it suits him just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.