• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system
AppleInsider | Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system
Nintendo surprised the gaming world this week by preannouncing a glasses-free 3D successor to the Nintendo DS, a new portable platform that the industry leader hopes will fend off surging competition from Apple's iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

It seems Nintendo feels threatened by the success of gaming on Apple's portable devices like the touch and iphone.
So maybe the next IT war will not be Apple Vs MS. It very well could be Apple Vs the Big "N".

iPhone, iPod touch carve 19% gaming share from Sony, Nintendo
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...carve_19_gaming_share_from_sony_nintendo.html
Over the last year, Apple's share of the US video game software market has jumped 500%, eating into the growth of console games while also putting pressure on mobile gaming leaders Nintendo and Sony.

Just another random article on a very similar subject. Hmmm maybe Apple without planing for it have become a major player in the gaming market. And people say Apple can not make a a good machine for games. Well the stats say otherwise :)

I am also a fan of the Big "N". So I really don't want to see Apple put them out of business (and by definition MS's and Sony's gaming console division would by pretty much dead at that point too). I will really be interested to see how this plays out. Cause No matter who loses this war I'll be sad. As I've always been fans of  and the big "N".

And lastly this:
Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...f_apps_tested_by_apple_for_use_with_ipad.html
As Apple continues to test applications for use on its forthcoming multimedia iPad, nearly half fall into the games category, while just 3 percent are books.
It seems many people are seeing Apple (ipad) as a good platform for games, cause a lot of people are making games for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I don't plan to use the iPad as a gaming device. . . lol. I have a 360 :)

But I honestly do not see where this could "counter" Apple's iPad, unless parents are getting their 10 year olds an iPad to play games on. Other than that, I wouldn't say it would "counter" Apple. People wanting the iPad for organization and/or laying around the house on Mac-Forums or something probably wouldn't find this much to worry about ;) At least, that's what I think. I could be totally wrong. Just typing off the top of my mind!

Also, I do not think the iPad was made for gaming anyway. It is just now even better because of the bigger processor and larger screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I really wouldn't worry too much about any of the aforementioned platforms/companies. They each cater to a slightly different type of personality and gamer. And I think there are far more than enough of those individuals to sustain each business model that these gamers represent.

Nintendo will never go "out of business" in the gaming segment. It's their bread and butter. I think that if anything, it's Sony whom have to keep on their toes and watch what is happening around them. They're not totally invested in the gaming market. Their main source of revenue stems from consumer audio and video, so it would be more feasible for them to simply cut off their weakest limb, as it were.

All of course, IMHO.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
After the iPad was unveiled in January, Iwata was said to be "totally unimpressed" by the new platform.

Looks like Nintendo's president has jumped on the iPad bashing bandwagon too! haha ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Looks like Nintendo's president has jumped on the iPad bashing bandwagon too! haha ;D

Well of course he would say that. The design was made in America. He has no interest or pride in such a thing. He ALWAYS says things like that. Meh. Though to counter my own remark.. I'm in agreement with him. :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what were you wanting in regards to the GUI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what were you wanting in regards to the GUI?

If that is addressed to me:

I find the iPad wholly dull in its inception. I mean what is it other than a giant iPod touch ? (cuz' a phone, it ain't) They put a new lil' spin on how photos' are viewed. WHooptie doo. You can multi task only Apple created apps..

I mean ok, if Macbooks were a LOT more expensive, I'd see some kind of logic in it. But they're not. And they have fully functioning OS's. The actual iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad GUI ? BOOORIIING ! Sorry, but it's dated as all h311. I was actually shocked to see that they didn't care to overhaul the GUI one bit. In fact, I think it's ugly by modern standards, and it could be so much more. How about Apple simply giving its users the ability to customize the GUI ? The typical GUI lock down Apple employs is just annoying.

As far as the design goes... to say that it's hardly a stretch is barely saying anything at all.

Steve Jobs: " Thinner... no physical keyboard of course and make sure we can create as many third party peripheral designers and suppliers as possible, this way we make more money, save more money, and have our name out there on even more web sites than before"

Smart guy, for sure. But the only thing that doesn't bore me at this point are Apple's laptops and desktops and OS X. If the iPad was able to run OS X.. I'd SO be on board. Oh... and of course give me at least an Firewire or USB port and iSight. There's no reason other than to make more money from third party vendors, NOT to have these things. And there's no reason it can not run OS X.

A real innovation would see the following: MacBooks and MacBook Pro's having new features which would enable Apple to raise their prices accordingly, thereby giving them the incentive to install a better processor in the iPad and have OS X run on them. What those 'new features' are, I can't say. But then, that's why it's Apple's job and not mine. Or maybe I do have ideas, but Apple ain't paying me so...

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think the ipad is awesome for all the exact same reasons you think it's boring. But that's not why I am commenting to you. You're one of the first people I know to give a real reason to why you hate the ipad and not just say "the ipad sux it's teh shiz what only noobs buy".

I agree each person has their own opinion. But it's nice to finally see someone in the "don't like the ipad" camp that actually gets the ipad idea too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think I ever said that I "hated" it. I can see where it might fill a small gap for people whom don't already own a 'Mac' product, which does the things that the iPad will do (surf, mail, browse photos and whatever else an iPod touch can do, but on an 10" screen) and then on top of that only pay half of what an MacBook costs. That's pretty much the price of what a 16 gig iPhone is, right ?

So yeah, I understand the niche it fills. Hate is too strong an emotion for me to feel for it. I'd say it's more resentment. I resent the fact that it could be so much more than it is, even with its current hardware, but that Apple chose to take advantage of the smallest possible hole in the armor's chink. Especially.. when it's more than likely a given that in another couple of years, they'll make the 1st gen iPad totally obsolete due to better specs *which are already possible to include* and hardware designs. *usb ports, camera etc..*

I also see through a bit of what is happening, in that this is a test for the market to see if it will bite, and how hard. So with that in mind, I can't possibly hate it. In fact, I might have to learn to call it what everyone else is calling it... but only time will tell.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Doug as well. I only asked because your opinions are just as the8thark said, you give real reasons.

I as well see the niche, and I may possibly fit into that niche. I do have an iPod touch, but it stays in the car. I have never used it to surf the web or check email since I have installed my new head unit, which was summer. I just want to be able to instantly get on the internet and chill in by bed, on the couch, or upstairs in the kitchen. Since I always get emails, I can do email better (email on my phone by the way is absolutely horrifying). Just those small things I want to do faster, easier, and simpler.

When it comes down to the GUI, keeping it similar to the iPod/iPhone was the point. I believe it was stated in the Keynote that the interface would stay the same so anyone who picked up an iPad that owns/has owned an iPod touch or iPhone will know exactly how to navigate, know exactly what to do. I ask the questions, why should we have to learn *another* new environment? Why should it *have* to be different and complex? I say it shouldn't. There are people who would probably disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

Now not having USB ports or other related ports on it, I have no comment. I don't normally hook things up unless it's my external hard drive and second monitor for my MacBook. Even then, they aren't always hooked up. So I won't say much, since I don't really have a position. I wouldn't care either way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.