External monitor on MBP slows internet connection

Reaction score
I've just bought and installed an external monitor (Samsung XL 23'') to work with my 13" 4GB RAM / 256MB VRAM MBP. I've noticed that when using the external monitor, the internet connection (Safari) slows a lot, sometimes to make it almost unusable. And today Mail claimed the email server wasn't working - as soon as I removed the external monitor no problems with email and Safari back to its usual fast performance. I've checked this several times and there is a clear difference in speed. What's going on?

Are there any known issues about external monitors slowing internet performance? Is memory being "stolen" to run the monitor? Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never heard of an external monitor slowing down an internet connection. The presence of additional hardware such as a monitor should have no impact on the speed of your connection. The only thing that can affect the speed is if your Network settings are somehow being changed when you attach the monitor. That could happen if you are logging on using a different profile for example.

Make sure all your System Preferences, Network settings are the same when you switch to using the external monitor.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have the very same issue. MBP 13, and an external monitor that kills the airport connection as soon as I plug it. Absolutely no idea why

I've just bought and installed an external monitor (Samsung XL 23'') to work with my 13" 4GB RAM / 256MB VRAM MBP. I've noticed that when using the external monitor, the internet connection (Safari) slows a lot, sometimes to make it almost unusable. And today Mail claimed the email server wasn't working - as soon as I removed the external monitor no problems with email and Safari back to its usual fast performance. I've checked this several times and there is a clear difference in speed. What's going on?

Are there any known issues about external monitors slowing internet performance? Is memory being "stolen" to run the monitor? Many thanks.

Reaction score
Same problem with the external monitor

I've just determined that when I plug in an external monitor to my MacBook Pro it knocks out or slows the internet. Don't know if the posters on this thread are using an external monitor or not.

I've been trouble shooting this for a few days and have noticed that the external monitor connection does impact the internet. I don't know why and haven't come across any threads that explain it yet.

I have tested it 10 different times and each time the results are the same. I plug in my external monitor try to load a page an nothing happens. As the page is "trying" to load I unplug the external monitor and the page loads. Several other test yielded the same results.

Now I need to figure why or how the external monitor knocks out the internet.

C

chas_m

If we're talking about a *wireless* connection to the internet, then the answer is simple: bad shielding is sending out frequency interference that matches your wireless.

For obvious reasons, the best fix in that case is replace the monitor. But before you do that, you can do some tests to help determine if that's actually the case:

1. Enable "interference robustness" AND change the wireless "channel" the network uses.

2. Use a different router (preferably an "N" router if you can borrow one) and see if the problem repeats

3. Make an aluminum "cover" for the monitor and see if that makes a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.