• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

How install Os 9.2.2 in a G4 MDD Dual 1.25 (no FW800)

S

Soundglasses

Hi men , i'm a new MacForum user
i wuold install Os 9.2.2 in a G4 MDD dual 1.25 . I bought this G4 as the last mac able to boot by Os 9 . When i attempt to install it (by cd's software restore bundled whit my G4) the only possibility i can is to install Os 9.2.2 in a drive whit OSX pre-installed .
For my set-up using Digidesign Protools the best way to use dual boot is "install OSX and OS9.2.2 on different drives" or at least on different partition of the same drive....
How i can do that ?
thank you all :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Soundglasses said:
i wuold install Os 9.2.2 in a G4 MDD dual 1.25 . I bought this G4 as the last mac able to boot by Os 9 . When i attempt to install it (by cd's software restore bundled whit my G4) the only possibility i can is to install Os 9.2.2 in a drive whit OSX pre-installed .
For my set-up using Digidesign Protools the best way to use dual boot is "install OSX and OS9.2.2 on different drives" or at least on different partition of the same drive....
How i can do that ?
I think that if you install everything on one drive you can later move your 9.2.2 system and applications folders onto the secondary drive and still boot from it. Mybe someone else in the forum can tell you for certain.
Good Luck, Ciao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Soundglasses said:
How i can do that ?

All you have to do is to install it on yur OS X drive, and when it's finished you copy all OS9 files to your second disc or partition. Then go to the Classic preferences, it will search and find the new location of OS9's System folder, maybe needs to update some files, and that's it.
The advantage of having OS9 on a second disc or partition is that when you start your mac with pressing the option (or alt) key, you will be able to select OS9 to boot from. If OS9 is on the same partition than OS X, OS9 will not show up in that boot menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.