• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon MVX350i not recognized by iMovie or FCPRO...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 8GB RAM
Hi I am using a brand new camera that is not recognized in iMovie.
I just bought (Yesterday) a PAL CANON MVX350i. Seems like a great camera, BUT I cannot get it to be recognized in the newest version of iMovie. Latest update done... I have also installed the software that came with the camera for OSX, but just seems to be for the digital photo part of things.

I have not found it on any compatibility lists, BUT according to several forums I read in Sweden, all Canon cameras should work, and it was even recommended on the MacUser UK site and reviewed! I am at wit's end about what to do...

I am an experienced Mac user (since 1987) and have used countless Sony cameras in FCPRO and iMovie without a glitch.

I want to keep the camera, but I can't get the footage into the computer... A 2 week old G5 running the latest system software.

any help appreciated. And my sympathies to others with this problem. ALSO, iMovie won't quit, just hangs.

cheers
Bert in Sweden

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.