2 Email quest: one re: macmail/one re: hotmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/10: Purchased an iMac 21.5" 3.06 GZ, 500 MB, 4 GB
I'm one week in now with my imac. Slooooowly learning. First question today: my inbox/sent email was all imported over from my PC by my son. I just happened to click on a recent, favorite power point email that I had previously rec'd on the PC that shows lots of new tech. items either currently avail. or will be, also incl. great archit. bldgs., etc. It had great music also during the slideshow. When I clicked on the link to play it again, I can no longer receive the music, only the pics. I did a search and thought I read something about sometimes the author won't allow the music to replay when it's on a "different" computer than when it played originally. So, I had the sender re-send me the link (at the same addy & also at my Hotmail addy) so I'd now receive it on the iMac, but I still can't get the music back. She tested it and it still plays for her. Any suggestions?

2nd Quest: When sending a pic in my macmail pgrm., I just drag a pic from my desktop and it's there and visible! Love that. When I just did the same tonight from my Hotmail pgrm. (diff addy.), it was NOT visible (same pic as before). It just leaves a garbage link ... something like mac/user/desktop/jpg. Clicking on it did nothing when i tested it. How can I send my pics from Hotmail using the same method as on my macmail? Thanks!

C

chas_m

I'm one week in now with my imac. Slooooowly learning. First question today: my inbox/sent email was all imported over from my PC by my son. I just happened to click on a recent, favorite power point email that I had previously rec'd on the PC that shows lots of new tech. items either currently avail. or will be, also incl. great archit. bldgs., etc. It had great music also during the slideshow. When I clicked on the link to play it again, I can no longer receive the music, only the pics. I did a search and thought I read something about sometimes the author won't allow the music to replay when it's on a "different" computer than when it played originally. So, I had the sender re-send me the link (at the same addy & also at my Hotmail addy) so I'd now receive it on the iMac, but I still can't get the music back. She tested it and it still plays for her. Any suggestions?

Won't work. Powerpoint uses a proprietary method of embedding music in slideshows that doesn't carry over to the Mac unless you have Office (I think). If you do have Office and it still isn't working, you need Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian installed (both free!).

2nd Quest: When sending a pic in my macmail pgrm., I just drag a pic from my desktop and it's there and visible! Love that. When I just did the same tonight from my Hotmail pgrm. (diff addy.), it was NOT visible (same pic as before). It just leaves a garbage link ... something like mac/user/desktop/jpg.

Hotmail is a browser-based email client -- can't do inline embedding. Can't do drag and drop attaching.

Mail is an application and can do many things Hotmail can't do.

I generally advise people to dump Hotspam, sorry Hotmail, as its really a pretty poor service by comparison with its competitors (Yahoo and GMail and MobileMe).

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Chas. What does "inline embedding" mean RE: hotmail? I've always been able to copy and paste pics onto my hotmail (at least on my PC, haven't tried that yet on mac, so they are immed. visible to the recipient).

Also, how can I get some "smilies" for my macmail usage? AND, when I press the command key and the "I" - I still cannot get "italics" to perform when typing an email. Am I missing something? And, I guess I CANNOT get a toolbar similar to the one above when composing a message here to appear in my macmail, right? It's very similar to a PC.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
AND, when I press the command key and the "I" - I still cannot get "italics" to perform when typing an email.
It works in the Apples Mail Application - that and bold. What OS are you on?
If Snow Leopard do have 10.6.2? if not then download and install this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Collin; it IS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard); my comp. is only 2 weeks old, BTW - 21", iMac. How can I get the italics to work in the macmail program? As I stated, Command + I does not do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i am not too clear here - by 'macmail' do u mean Apples Mail Application or is it something else?

C

chas_m

Newbie2Mac probably has Mail set to Plain Text, which will nullify any attempt to use italics or bold. You can change this in Mail under the "Format" menu (last menu command, "Make Rich Text").

In regards to my previous post, I shouldn't have used the term "inline embedding" -- I meant "drag and drop embedding."

As for "smilies" you can use the text versions (colon-parentheses, etc) but little graphics are not really practical to put into mail messages. Use the text versions and the receiver on the other end will see what you mean.

And no, you can't get a Windows-like toolbar for Mail, but that's only because Mail's own toolbar is far more flexible and powerful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
To the OP, you can set Mail up to work with your Hotmail. I did it and it works great! I had to Google the how-to but I followed the instructions and everything went well.
You can have as many different Inboxes (diff. e-mail accounts) in Mail. If you have your Hotmail set up in Mail then you can drag and drop files or photos right into your email.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st to Chas: Yes, I'm referring to Apple's Mail pgm; Under the Format column (your suggestion), the "make rich text" option is grayed out so can't select it. However, to clarify, I CAN without problems use command B (bold), Cmd. U, for underline, X, V - etc. It's only the "Cmd. I" that won't activate - seems like none of them would work if I needed to select Rich Text. In any case, if I do, how do I activate it so it's not grayed out?

I know Smilies are girly-ish, but that's what I AM!! And I LIKE them. They are so std. on PC's - why CAN'T I get them for the Mac? They're even right here as I write this reply. And speaking of which, when I write this reply, it's that tool bar above that I would love to have for my email. You said it was flexible and powerful in the Apple Mail, but I find it quite limiting, overall. To underline, bold, etc., I have to leave my mouse, use left hand to press Command and right hand to press B, or I, or V, etc. That's more steps and time. Why can't I get the same or similar toolbar they have right here up above where I'm typing this? Why is it so abbreviated in mac mail? Basically, unless I'm missing something, for purposes of modifying the text I'm typing & preferring the icons across the top (as here), I've only got a Fonts choice and a Colors choice when writing a msg. in the mail prog. I couldn't find any other choices to drag over. (Not referring to the "attach," draft and address book that is also there.) (Thank Gawd you're patient!)

To "myMac": Thanks; I will try and locate that info and bring over Hotmail to the Mac mail prog.

C

chas_m

1st to Chas: Yes, I'm referring to Apple's Mail pgm; Under the Format column (your suggestion), the "make rich text" option is grayed out so can't select it. However, to clarify, I CAN without problems use command B (bold), Cmd. U, for underline, X, V - etc. It's only the "Cmd. I" that won't activate - seems like none of them would work if I needed to select Rich Text. In any case, if I do, how do I activate it so it's not grayed out?

If it's grayed out, then you're already working in Rich Text.

After thinking about it for a second, I think I know the answer as to why you can bold etc but not italic: the font you've chosen doesn't have an italic variant. Doh!! :)

I know Smilies are girly-ish, but that's what I AM!! And I LIKE them. They are so std. on PC's - why CAN'T I get them for the Mac?

You can, they just don't come automatically.

Here's an example of how to do this:
1. Go to this page.
2. Drag each emoticon you like into a folder on your desktop. Once you're done, move the folder (which you should label "Emoticons" or some such) to your Home Folder (under Documents or wherever). Now make an ALIAS of that folder and put that on your desktop.
3. Okay. Now when you are composing an email, you can open the alias, choose which emoticon you want, drag it into the body of the mail. It WILL NOT MOVE for you, but will be animated when the recipient gets it.

Like so:
italiamac_fish.gif

You said it was flexible and powerful in the Apple Mail, but I find it quite limiting, overall. To underline, bold, etc., I have to leave my mouse, use left hand to press Command and right hand to press B, or I, or V, etc. That's more steps and time.

1. The Mail toolbar is more flexible and powerful. For example, to bring in a picture (or an emoticon), you just have to drag it in. That's FAR simpler than either Windows or the MacForums method.

2. Command-B (etc) is just ONE way of making words bold (etc). If you prefer using the mouse, you can use the Format menu, or the Font menu to make things bold (etc).

Why can't I get the same or similar toolbar they have right here up above where I'm typing this?

Because the people who wrote Mac Forums' forum software are not the same people who wrote Mail. Or Office, for that matter. Each piece of software that does messages looks a little different from each other. The authors of this forum software CHOSE to make a toolbar that is SIMILAR to that of Office because lots of people use Office, but in fact its actually quite a bit different.

But ALL the commands that you see in the "reply" toolbar in this forum are also present in the compose window in Mail -- choice of fonts, sizes and styles (all handled by the "fonts" and "colors" buttons); attaching pictures and files (drag and drop); http and email links (just type the full pathname, like Example Web Page or [email protected] -- they don't look like they change to you but the recipient gets a clickable link); and using the "customize" item from the view menu you can add quote indention, Address Book, bulleted/numbered list buttons and much more.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Chas! I'll bet you're right - font won't allow; I'm getting ready for company so I'll try a diff. font after this weekend and confirm that with all.

Oh, thank you; can't wait to try the smilies - a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do ...

I'd still like to debate the PC mail options vs. Mac Mail some day. Drag and drop IS nice, but I still have to select it, drag it to the desktop and then move it over to mail. Not really too much diff. than with the PC: select it, right click and copy and then right click and paste in the email. Same amount of steps. Plus, I really miss all those icons and choices at the top of my mail bar with the Mac!

Another question: I use the wireless Magic Mouse. When scrolling up or down the page by smooth finger-movements, I'm finding I have to repeat the action sometimes many times to activate & use - as though it's not always "getting" my movements. The repetitive attempts are quite frustrating (I'm missing that scroll wheel, I guess - it always responded immed.). Any suggestions?

As an aside: I see you are promoting the beta ACDSee for the Mac, which I'm quite happy to have noticed as I used it a lot with my PC and am excited to see we'll eventually have it. Just how "good" and reliable is the beta version now and how extensive is it if you are familiar with the PC version (I think I was using the DSee Pro 2 or 3??)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question: I use the wireless Magic Mouse. When scrolling up or down the page by smooth finger-movements, I'm finding I have to repeat the action sometimes many times to activate & use - as though it's not always "getting" my movements. The repetitive attempts are quite frustrating (I'm missing that scroll wheel, I guess - it always responded immed.). Any suggestions?

Check this out - it allows you to configure the functions on the mouse.
Download MagicPrefs for Mac - Adds functions and options to the Apple Magic Mouse. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.