Needing help with Admin Accounts

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a huge problem which has been bugging me for a while now. I purchased the macbook brand new a couple years back, setup users,passwords etc but now am unable to get into the Admin Account or the keychain thing.

I have reset the root password using startup disc but cant login to Admin Account or the "Other" account. I have no clue why its so hard now, as apart from this its been great, but im at the point of just wanting to throw it out the window.

If anybody is able to shed light on the issue it would really be appreciated!!!.

Thanks in advance!

C

chas_m

This problem should have absolutely NOTHING to do with the root account, and I suspect the problem has been made worse by using "root" when it was unneeded.

First thing: you should have been using the admin account all along. It's your computer, isn't it? Who else should be admin?

I've never understood why people sometimes choose to restrict THEMSELVES to a standard-user account -- there's no viruses for the Mac and no hackers are going to take over your machine, so there's no reason NOT to be admin.

Okay, rant over. Anyway, you need to reboot from the system DVDs, select your language, then go to the menubar and choose Password Utility and reset the password for the ADMIN account per these instructions:

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.