Good Deal???

Reaction score
Ok so all my life ive used PC's and now that my last Laptop (Alienware) went out im wanting a MACBOOK Pro.

so ive found this laptop on Craigslist and im not sure if this is a good deal or not.

15 inch Apple Macbook Pro MINT

i like the fact that it has Windows 7 on it i think it will make the transition a little easier for me.

so what do you guys think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my humble opinion it's not that great of a deal.

First...if it comes with Windows 7 installed on it...is the seller including the install disk(s) & the install serial number? If not...then Windows 7 on the laptop would be an unauthorized copy!

Second. For $199 more ($1699 vs. $1500) you could get this refurbished MacBook Pro directly from Apple:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

With:

- a full 12 month warranty
- a faster processor (2.66ghz vs. 2.53ghz)
- double the ram (4 gig vs. 2 gig)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
ok i dont think he has the install disk idk ill have to ask him.

But Windows 7 being on a new Mac is a big + for me cause ive never worked on a Mac before and i have alot of Programs/Games i like on windows such as..
Photoshop
After Effects
Sony Vegas
Photomatrix

and i want to be able to install all of those with ease.
oh and im not worried about the Windows on it being legal or not lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
Looks like a good deal, and it should still have warranty, but I would want to see it in person, and take a little time to play around with it and check it out.
If it were all good, I would also want to purchase Applecare (extended warranty) which you have to get before the warranty runs out.
Personally, I'm not a fan of secondhand computers, but that is a personal choice.
I would wait for input from other members who may have input as to safety nets re craigslist, as I am in Oz, and we don't have craigs list, and I don't know what sort of cover is offered.
I would also want the serial no of the Machine so that I could check that it's not stolen!

Re Pigoo's post.... I looked at the refurbs in the Oz site by mistake when saying it was a good deal.... looking at the US site, that refurb would be a way better option!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i dont think he has the install disk idk ill have to ask him.

But Windows 7 being on a new Mac is a big + for me cause ive never worked on a Mac before and i have alot of Programs/Games i like on windows such as..
Photoshop
After Effects
Sony Vegas
Photomatrix

and i want to be able to install all of those with ease.
oh and im not worried about the Windows on it being legal or not lol

Two things:

1. You can always purchase an Intel based Macintosh, purchase your own copy of Windows 7...and then install Windows 7 on the laptop yourself.

2. We don't discuss illegal software or unauthorized copies of software on MacForums.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac Forums
Looks like a good deal, and it should still have warranty, but I would want to see it in person, and take a little time to play around with it and check it out.
If it were all good, I would also want to purchase Applecare (extended warranty) which you have to get before the warranty runs out.
Personally, I'm not a fan of secondhand computers, but that is a personal choice.
I would wait for input from other members who may have input as to safety nets re craigslist, as I am in Oz, and we don't have craigs list, and I don't know what sort of cover is offered.
I would also want the serial no of the Machine so that I could check that it's not stolen!

Re Pigoo's post.... that refurb would be a way better option!

yea but that refurb wouldnt be just an extra 199 buck you would have to throw in tax too and im not rich so 1500 bucks is more then i really should be spending

and thanks for the welcome :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Keensake was

Two things:

1. You can always purchase an Intel based Macintosh, purchase your own copy of Windows 7...and then install Windows 7 on the laptop yourself.

2. We don't discuss illegal software or unauthorized copies of software on MacForums.

Good luck,

- Nick

No i wasnt trying to discuss it lol

im just saying if it already has it on the Mac then that would be less money i would have to spend to get it.

i think its an OK deal i know ill probably hate myself for not spending the extra 200/300 bucks on that refurb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
i think its an OK deal i know ill probably hate myself for not spending the extra 200/300 bucks on that refurb

I think you will too!
Much better specs, full warranty, knowledge that it has been properly looked over by Apple, and the option of purchasing the extended warranty anytime with the 12month original warranty period.
I really would recommend holding out if you can!

OP
B
Reaction score
I think you will too!
Much better specs, full warranty, knowledge that it has been properly looked over by Apple, and the option of purchasing the extended warranty anytime with the 12month original warranty period.
I really would recommend holding out if you can!

IDK bro im pretty excited about it lol im gonna do some more research.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea but that refurb wouldnt be just an extra 199 buck you would have to throw in tax too and im not rich so 1500 bucks is more then i really should be spending

Do you really NEED this particular MacBook Pro for $1500? There are other used MacBook/MacBook Pro models out there that would/could cost you a lot less.

For starters...you could get a brand new entry level MacBook for $999. Or get this refurbished MacBook for $849:

Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Do you really NEED this particular MacBook Pro for $1500? There are other used MacBook/MacBook Pro models out there that would/could cost you a lot less.

For starters...you could get a brand new entry level MacBook for $999. Or get this refurbished MacBook for $849:

Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

ok for one i didnt want anything smaller then a 15 inch screen. 2 idk why but i want a macbook pro. whats the big diffrence ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And with free shipping on the machine Nick found is a better deal!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok for one i didnt want anything smaller then a 15 inch screen. 2 idk why but i want a macbook pro. whats the big diffrence ?

Ok so no 13" MacBook. But there are still lots of used 15" MacBook Pros out there for a lot less than $1500. You never really said what you're going to be doing with this laptop...so you may not need the "horsepower" of this $1500 laptop.

I personally purchased a used 17" MacBook Pro 8 months ago for $725!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok so no 13" MacBook. But there are still lots of used 15" MacBook Pros out there for a lot less than $1500. You never really said what you're going to be doing with this laptop...so you may not need the "horsepower" of this $1500 laptop.

I personally purchased a used 17" MacBook Pro 8 months ago for $725!:)

- Nick

well thats a really good deal lol where do i find deals like that? im really worried about buying one over the internet due to shipping and possibly getting ripped off.

i do Photo/music/video editing and play a little bit of games(MW2) if that helps any.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well thats a really good deal lol where do i find deals like that? im really worried about buying one over the internet due to shipping and possibly getting ripped off.

How do you find a good deal?...be patient...don't be in a hurry.:)

Buying over the internet for the most part is not a problem:

- With Craig's List you can actually see, feel, and use the computer before buying it.
- If you purchase a new or refurbished computer from Apple.com...no worries there.
- e-Bay can be a bit more complex (and you will probably pay due to more buyers & the auction format). But if you pay with Paypal...Paypal is pretty darn good...and usually rule in favor of the buyer if there is a problem.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
How do you find a good deal?...be patient...don't be in a hurry.:)

Buying over the internet for the most part is not a problem:

- With Craig's List you can actually see, feel, and use the computer before buying it.
- If you purchase a new or refurbished computer from Apple.com...no worries there.
- e-Bay can be a bit more complex (and you will probably pay due to more buyers & the auction format). But if you pay with Paypal...Paypal is pretty darn good...and usually rule in favor of the buyer if there is a problem.

- Nick

You sir have been alot of help and i thank you. +rep will be added. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You sir have been alot of help and i thank you. +rep will be added. ;)

Buying a new laptop is easy...just more expensive. Buying a used computer is more difficult...but you can save a load of money!:)

Good luck with your laptop purchase!

- Nick

C

chas_m

Since nobody else mentioned it, I will: three of the four programs the OP specifically mentioned are available as Mac versions. Most companies will let registered users "sidegrade" for just the cost of a normal upgrade.

The one program left that he would "need" Windows for, Sony Vegas, is largely superceded by iMovie, which comes free with the machine (or, if need be, as part of the $79 iLife 09 package). Yes, I know the two programs don't bear *direct* comparison, but most people just want to get the darn video edited, looking good and uploaded or burned -- and iMovie/iDVD do that better than anybody at the consumer level IMHO.

Reaction score
In my humble opinion it's not that great of a deal.

First...if it comes with Windows 7 installed on it...is the seller including the install disk(s) & the install serial number? If not...then Windows 7 on the laptop would be an unauthorized copy!

just because the guy doesnt have the disks doesnt make the copy illegal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.