Time Machine and WD My Book World Set Up

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. I bought the WD My Book World and want to connect it using Time Machine. I am running Snow Leopard and am up to date. I connected it through my Airport Extreme (but then connected it through my router to see if that would make a difference, as I read on Apple support that you can't connect an external backup drive to Airport Extreme). I mapped the drive as WD described and went in and changed my password (why, I don't know). I am currently seeing MyBookWorld and MyBookWorld-Backup in my Finder window. However, when I go to set up Time Machine, it only shows MyBookWorld-Backup and when I try to enter the user and password for the WD device under Time Machine, it says: Time Machine can’t access the backup disk “WD_Backup”. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.). Before I had mapped the drive, I could see both. I can log into it by double clicking it in the finder window and can drag and drop into it. Why can't I seem to get Time Machine to recognize it? Would it be better for me to use the WD Anywhere backup that came with the drive instead of Time Machine? If I'm doing something wrong (totally realistic), can someone walk me through the steps to set it up?
Thanks! This is my first post to the forum and I'm hoping for the best!
KJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW that is a lot to go through to set up. My WD My Book was plug and play out of the box.
You might want to consider a App like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper as how you back up. Cant quite help out with your problem as i havnt come across it. As i said my WD Ext came out of the box then i did a backup straight away.

What have you formatted the Ext in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) ??
These 2 apps are a cloner. If you use one it will be a bootable copy of your HD where as TM isnt. TM is just that a back up.
Maybe try formatting it again in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and try again ??

You mentioned the WD Anywhere backup ?? What is that ??

Cheers
Sorry cant be of anymore assistants to you at this point :)

OP
K
Reaction score
WD backup

I have the World edition, which is done by connecting it to your network. I've seen some things about the Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but I have no idea what that is or what I should be doing with it. I think it must be important, but don't know why.
The WD Anywhere software that came with it is WD's own backup software. Don't know how it is or how it works. Will Carbon Copy Cloner work over a network? I want to have accessible files off of my external. One of the things that WD Anywhere does is puts files into shared folders. There is one for iTunes, video, and photos. It must read the file extensions and put them in those shared folders. It seems that if I have Time Machine, I should make use of it unless someone can convince me that I really don't need it or it's not so great.
KJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is the format that most people use to format there Ext unless they need to have it accessed by Windows machines.
Im not sure how Ext work over a network but without knowledge of it, i would be safe in saying that SD or CCC will work with it. I only mentioned these to you, as in case your HD fails you will always be able to use you Mac as these CLONE you HD and in doing that you have a bootable copy, which in turn will let you use your Mac in case of the failure.
So in essence you will have a exact copy of your Int HD on your Ext HD.
Time Machine is good but since i have found SD i use this religiously. It still is a personal choice though.
You mentioned you mapped your Ext ... As in formatting it ?? If so what did you format it in ??

Cheers

OP
K
Reaction score
WD emailed me the steps

This is what I did:

In Finder, click Go and point to Connect to Server.

Enter smb://wdsharespace or smb://mybookworld and click Connect.
Note: If you renamed the network storage during device setup, enter “smb://newdevicename" (where newdevicename is the name you gave the WD ShareSpace or My Book World device).

Choose the radio button “Connect as Registered User”.

Leave the "Workgroup or Domain" field as the default but enter "admin" into the "Name" and "Password" fields.

Choose a share on the drive.

Click the “OK” button.
The default shares are "Public" and "Download" so you will need to repeat the steps above to map to both of the factory shares
Please Note: You should not map to the "Configuration" share as that displays information about the drive and is not a place to store data.

That's all I did. Was this good or no good?
KJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.