Scratch disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveF

I'm running a G5 with OS X 10.3.9.

How do I empty my scratch disk? I'm running Photoshop and QuarkXpress so I have some pretty big files that I've been working with. A notice popped up that said my scratch disk is full and now I'm not sure what to do after searching for a few minutes.

Thanks,
Steve

OP
M

menace3054

SteveF said:
I'm running a G5 with OS X 10.3.9.

How do I empty my scratch disk? I'm running Photoshop and QuarkXpress so I have some pretty big files that I've been working with. A notice popped up that said my scratch disk is full and now I'm not sure what to do after searching for a few minutes.

Thanks,
Steve
http://www.karmakars.com/weblog/archives/2004/09/14/what_is_photoshop_scratch_diskscratchdisk

Go to the edit menu. At the bottom is a command called 'purge', in the sub menu click on 'all'. It tells you that this cannot be undone, but that's OK unless you really need the clipboard, histories or undo. Also, you can change the scratch disk in the preferences bit under the 'Memory and Scratch Disks' bit (I think it's called in 5.5). The scratch disk is cleared when you quit PS.

Reaction score
where is the exact location of the scratch disk?

i have a macbook pro and my photohshop (unfortunately) has crashed a few times. i understand that when it does so it tends to leave big temp files in the scratch disk. does anyone know the exact location of the scratch disks so i can clear them manually instead? or is defragmentation the only way.

Reaction score
Even emptying the scratch disk can still not clear enough memory for your large files. I've run into this problem also. I work with 700 MB layered files. I was told the only #1 way is to shut down your computer. That wipes every thing clean (well memory usage wise). Only open Photoshop & things should go fine. However this isn't always possible. Starting up or shutting down apps also does not help since a "building block" effect happens with the memory. At least with the older hard drives. Chaning scratch disk or Cache preferences can bite you in the butt later or interfere with other apps/ or you have to constantly change them back and forth.

Here's what I did: I bought a 1 TB external hard drive.

Go to Photoshop > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. Under scratch disk there is an area marked first, second, third & fourth. First has a drop-down to "starup". Under second, place an externial hard drive. It will use that when your computer runs out of memory. I have not run into a problem since. Photoshop is like a huge hungry relative that doesn't know how to stop. Hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.