MacBook Pro Mini DisplayPort to HDMI to VGA

Reaction score
Hey all.
I have a MacBook Pro and have just bought an external monitor with VGA input.
I was going to buy a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter but then I thought it would be better if I could have HDMI as well so i can show off my Mac through my HDMI TV.
Would this work?
Can I use a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and then plug a HDMI cable into that to show my Mac on my tv? And also if I want to use it on the external monitor just plug a VGA cable into the adapter instead of a HDMI cable?
Any feedback appreciated :)
Regards.
Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
You'd have to have two separate adapters.

MDP > HDMI
MDP > VGA

OP
W
Reaction score
are you saying i can't use the mdp to hdmi adapter but with 2 separate leads for the 2 external displays?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I don't believe they make a y-splitter. Especially one that goes to VGA+HDMI. If I'm mistaken, that will work, but I'm pretty sure they don't have that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
There is a thread on this already Display Port is digital only therefore only HDMI or Display Port will work all other forms of video that are in the consumer world are analog with the exception of DVI-I and DVI-D.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'd have to have two separate adapters.

MDP > HDMI
MDP > VGA

I like it - MDP - hope you don't mind if I borrow it.
And he's right.

are you saying i can't use the mdp to hdmi adapter but with 2 separate leads for the 2 external displays?

There is no such adapter that I am aware of. If you find one, let us know if it works.

There is a thread on this already Display Port is digital only therefore only HDMI or Display Port will work all other forms of video that are in the consumer world are analog with the exception of DVI-I and DVI-D.

A little correction is in order here. The MDP on Macs will indeed put out an analog signal with a MDP to VGA adapter. It will not output an S-Video or composite signal without using a converter.

Have a feeling what you have read is that the MDP to DVI adapter does not output an analog signal, which is correct.

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a MDP to HDMI adapter, but i have an old monitor that only uses VGA. if i buy the HDMI to VGA adapter (its cheaper than MDP to VGA) will it work with my MDP to HDMI?

MDP to HDMI to VGA: Will this work? I was wondering since HDMI is a digital signal and VGA is an analog one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.