Help! Word 2008 is ruining my life.

Reaction score
I have tried every trick in the book, read every forum, I'm screwed. I'm in law school and need my paper to fit these dimensions: Courier New, Font Size 12, Double Space, 24 lines per page. I've put these settings in every way possible, using every trick provided, but when I still only have 18 lines a page and when I print it, it looks triple spaced instead of double space.

Is this what I'm stuck with? Is the problem because I wrote it in Notebook? Am I doing something wrong? I really need help. THanks all!

Reaction score
I just tried your settings in word 2008, works fine with me but I get 26 lines with double spacing. So I changed the margins a bit (in the toolbox) and I've got 24 lines now. Use the attachement as a template.
I wrote it in print layout btw, maybe that influences the behaviour.
Good luck!

View attachment Courier New 12pt double spacing.doc

Reaction score
Hope the ziggo template fixes it for you...

Well worth going here Word:mac - Bend Word To Your Will

Download the document (free) and browse/use it to better understand how Word works....there's so many settings and so forth it's difficult to know where/how to gte things setup how you want (things like paragraph spacings etc, templates , toolbars etc). It's a really, really useful (and long....) document that's well worth having handy.

Coops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... it looks triple spaced instead of double space.

Is this what I'm stuck with? Is the problem because I wrote it in Notebook? Am I doing something wrong? I really need help. THanks all!

Check Format > Paragraph > Spacing > Before/After
Are they set to zero? If not, Word is automatically adding space for each line.

Reaction score
word for mac is real slow on my MBP (2.2/2GB)... is it typical resource hog or I just need to reinstall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not slowing things down for me.
Office 2004
OS 10.5.8

OP
L
Reaction score
Problem Solved! I think. I typed and formatted the document in Notebook Layout. I think the problem was related to the distance of the rule lines. Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You could always just not use Word and use something else. There are many high-quality apps for "word processing" available for the Macintosh. Most of them won't even cost you a dime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You could always just not use Word and use something else. There are many high-quality apps for "word processing" available for the Macintosh. Most of them won't even cost you a dime.

Perhaps but you get what you pay for and Office is the best.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I agree with harry. While there are many WP apps for the Mac including the very good "Pages" (part of iWork suite) none come up to par with MS Word. An opinion of course, but let's not forget MS has been publishing Word for the Mac long before they were for Windows.....

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I... um... I don't know. After 5.1 they kinda lost their touch. I don't care much for versions after that. Never liked the toolbar thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2
buggy

Maybe a good time to slip onto this thread - I'm beginning to find Word 2008 really buggy - Toolbars never appear by default at the top of a document window (even when the menu shows them as selected.) I need to de-select, then select Formatting or Standard or Reviewing, in order for them to show. Then they come up in an incomplete way. Quite frequently the whole programme crashes when working with the toolbars. This is not good :Shouting:

Also trying to use the (very poorly supported and explained) Master document & sub-document Feature. Took me an evening to figure out that having changes tracked in a sub document conflicts with the locking feature of the master document - but the error message rather unhelpfully only tells you that the subdocuments are locked in different ways. How useful is that?? :Grimmace:

Any comments from anyone? I have a publishers book deadline on Wednesday...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This helps to illustrate my point. You get what you pay for, eh? You are soooo paying for poorly-written dialogs, dodgy coding, half-implemented features, and well... ah... a whole lot of bloat in rather useless features such as this. Master and sub-document? Is this REALLY better? Someone still has to go back and proofread and edit it all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
let's not forget MS has been publishing Word for the Mac long before they were for Windows....
I would have thought the opposite! :confused:

Any comments from anyone? I have a publishers book deadline on Wednesday...
Yeah, but won't help you. I see more problems on forums with 2008 than 2004 but that might be because most people "upgraded". Office 2010 is supposed to be on the horizon. Maybe it will be better. Word is still the "cadillac" of word processors. But, that also means it can do a bunch of stuff that I'll never need.

Reaction score
Get that Bend Word to yoru will document - it points out that the Master document route is NOT the way to go.... is to be avoided.

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.