• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple needs to come out with...

Reaction score
Apple should come out with a PDA based on a Mac OS, kind of like the Windows Pocket PC's.

Also, Apple should come out with a new line of laptops like the old ClamShell G3's with different colors and such. I'm dying for a key lime laptop, but I don't want to buy an overpriced and rare ClamShell. Hehe.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
The PDA market isn't exactly blowing up. It isn't something I would want to get into.

C

Cloudane

True, smartphones seem to be the way things are going IMO. Well then, I'd buy an Apple smartphone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Yeh but can you imagine a screen similar to a P910 encased in stainless steel, and running Tiger!
Incidently for the coloured lappies, why not just get a ibook and paint it like you see everywhere!
Alex

Q

Qaxpla

I can imagine the cost of it too ;)

I'd be much more interested in an Apple smartphone rather than a PDA but maybe that's just my personal taste...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
smeshy123 said:
Apple should come out with a PDA based on a Mac OS, kind of like the Windows Pocket PC's.

Also, Apple should come out with a new line of laptops like the old ClamShell G3's with different colors and such. I'm dying for a key lime laptop, but I don't want to buy an overpriced and rare ClamShell. Hehe.

What do you guys think?
why don't you get a newton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Ditto on the other sentiments here... PDAs seem to be fading from importance.

As for the color ibooks: I am not sure what the market for this would be, but I have the feeling it would be limited.

I know I never even considered carrying an iBook until they came out with the all-white ones. I hated the color ones.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok, well...a Mac PDA/Smartphone would be nice...

As for the color macs, the market would be the younger generation...teenagers and such...get them into mac while they're young ;)...like Mac did to me.

I wouldn't get a newton because I love the look and feel of mac products. I would love a Smartphone/PDA that looked like a Mac/Ipod merged into one.

I

iMe

How comfusing it would be to have an Apple phone with numbers on a huge click-wheel!!
I think PDA series would be nice, and another Laptop series...Maybe something that compares to the mac mini, but with a screen and keypad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
OP
S
Reaction score
I've never really liked the tablet PC's, I always found them kind of pointless and over priced...but Mac could probably do a much better job...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
smeshy123 said:
I've never really liked the tablet PC's, I always found them kind of pointless and over priced...but Mac could probably do a much better job...
yup and if you dont like the tablet part you can always use it as a normal laptop

C

Cloudane

But let's just admit it... if Apple made a tablet it'd be even more overpriced ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Cloudane said:
But let's just admit it... if Apple made a tablet it'd be even more overpriced ;)
Maybe maybe not but either way you get all the apple quality and apples been getting alot better with prices

B

blackscooby

caribiner23 said:
Ditto on the other sentiments here... PDAs seem to be fading from importance.

Must admit the only thing I use my PDA for TomTom navigation, and that is fantastic. BUT that's the ONLY thing I use it for. Its just sat in the glovebox of my car.

When I bought it I was travelling to kenya for 2 weeks every month for several months so I kept track of my expenses on it. Since thing not used it for anything other than navigation.

Its true test comes in a few weeks when we travel to Le Mans. Can it navigate me around Paris :p

K

Kokopelli

blackscooby said:
Can it navigate me around Paris :p

No one can navigate around Paris (in a car). There are just those lucky souls who are less lost.

I actually use my PDA, I keep it handy for notes, my appointments, phone numbers, expense reports, etc... In all honesty I could live without it though. I would just use my laptop instead, though it is handy to not need to pull out the laptop for the little stuff.

Smartphones so far have not had any appeal to me, maybe in 3 or 4 years.

C

Cloudane

Just a curiosity, has anyone really used their PDA functions to do more than the first PDAs (say a Psion, or an Apple Newton or an original PalmPilot) did like 10 years ago?

GPS is a good one, and I use mine for it. But I'm sure machines built for the purpose will do better.

Watching movies - ditto (handheld digital movie players are quite popular now and cheaper than a PDA)

And that's about it? When I think about it, everything I've done on my iPaq could've been done at least 80% on a 10 year old PDA. I think that's the main problem.

M

menace3054

i always try to have a PDA but i end up selling it because i just never use the **** thing. my favorite pda i ever had was my original US robotics Palm thingy before they sold to 3 com. Nowadays they cost a fortune and are neat and all, but i just dont see a practical use for them.. you can almot buy a laptop for the price of some pdas..

K

Kokopelli

I use my PDA to remote in to my servers for admin in case of emergency. I have played movies on it, but that leaves a lot to be desired.

Other than that I have played around (GPS aware website running on the PDA) but those are the only useful things I have done with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.