Help With HDD Being Full

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to these forums.

Was wondering if someone could help me. I've got a 160 GB HDD and only have 146 MB left.

I have 50 GB of music in my iTunes and hardly any photos or videos. After using DiscSweeper for Mac to find out what was taking up all the room, I have come to the conclusion that both "Downloads" and "Limewire" take up a huge amount of room (39.7 GB and 31.7 GB respectively).

My question is can I clear these folders (Downloads and Limewire) without losing all my music in iTunes?

I desperately need the space and every single song I have is practically taking up double the space because it's in both my iTunes library and "Downloads" and "Limewire" folders.

Any help here would be appreciated mightily.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I can't see what harm it will do to remove them from the Download and Limewire folders. It wont effect anything that is in your iTunes library as far as I know.

Don't take my word as gospel. Wait until someone else comes along to confirm what I have said , or, says otherwise. In my experience when I have emptied the Downloads folder I haven't lost anything. HTH.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Start with your music files, if you're certain that you've copied the files over to your iTunes folder and a copy also exists in the limewire directory, then you can safely delete the original.

As far as Download goes, only you can decide what in there is of value to you and delete what isn't..

Regards

OP
E
Reaction score
aware warsaw

Thanks for the quick reply man.

I think you're right. I tried it on one album that was in my downloads. It was a .rar file so I deleted both the .rar file and the expanded folder, went back to my iTunes and the song was still there and was playing as normal.

I want to delete everything in my downloads folder as you said, but if someone who is 100% sure I won't be losing any of my iTunes music can clarify this then i'll go for it.

I have over 10,000 songs in my iTunes, all with album artwork, all the info correct etc. and it's taken over 6 months to get my iTunes like this so I don't wanna lose it all just like that...

OP
E
Reaction score
I'll probably just go through my Downloads deleting files one by one to make sure I don't lose anything.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For the songs in iTunes, you can do CMD+I and go to the Summary tab to see the location of the file, if they are all pointing to your iTunes folder and not anywhere else, you can remove the other files and you should be all set..

BTW, hopefully you have some sort of a backup scheme for your files..

Regards

OP
E
Reaction score
For the songs in iTunes, you can do CMD+I and go to the Summary tab to see the location of the file, if they are all pointing to your iTunes folder and not anywhere else, you can remove the other files and you should be all set..

BTW, hopefully you have some sort of a backup scheme for your files..

Regards

Thanks for the advice, i'll try that.

Yeah that's the problem, I don't have anything backed up as of yet, so I wanna be REAL careful with what I do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.