student discount %

J

justin1083

does anyone know the % of student discounts at apple stores? in seattle i heard it was 15% but online it's 10 or 11% ish, depending on the cart total. does anyone know if apple has a policy on this across stores?

OP
S

speedydave

I think it depends on the machine you're looking at. I've noticed that with the powerbooks I'm looking at, it's $200 off the top of the base computer, then 10% off of the upgrades, plus whatever their discount is for the software (it seems to vary). My local Apple store's prices, including the student discounts, are the same as whatever is on Apple's site.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like speedydave stated, I find the discounts depended on the product type. Not a set discount percentage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Student discounts are for specific products only. I think you're allowed 1 system, up to 2 displays, and 2 software products per year on a student discount. Some other products have a small price reduction (like the airport express base station.) You'll just have the check the Apple Store online- any Apple Store you walk into is bound to have similar prices if you can show them a student I.D.

OP
B

BrianH

Yeah, the powerbook Im ordering is orginal 1699 base. I'm getting it for 1499 :)

OP
M

menace3054

sevenhelmet said:
Student discounts are for specific products only. I think you're allowed 1 system, up to 2 displays, and 2 software products per year on a student discount. .

they dont keep track of that stuff, i bought 1 powermac, 1 imac, 1 powerbook, 1 imac this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
"Do they keep track?" No, although they might do a random check on ppl, you *could* say that you were a student at any school you have heard of, and as long as its in the system you *could* get away with it. Hypothetically, of course. Not that anyone posting on this forum would condone such behavior.

Reaction score
We bought one through education as we homeschool our kids. There was no check. Our son is taking college courses at two universities right now so he probably qualifies for another one or two. Someone I work with is married to someone on our local school board and he got the discount. And someone else at work claimed the education discount as the machine would be used by his daughter who attends
school.

Reaction score
Hrm....The reason I ask is I MAY not get accepted to school this fall because of how much my other school is dragging their feet on getting my transcript in to the new school (one of MANY reasons I"m not going there anymore) and I just don't want to wait till January to get my new Mac :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.