help if you could

Reaction score
Firstly i would like to say hi, i have been using macs for a few years now and have come across a problem. I have purchased a flashdrive for my car stereo, i originally used a pc to transfer music across to it ( was a gf and its all they have ). It was working fine but then decided to come up with the message there are no files, i then formatted it using disk utilities on the mac. Now when i put the flashdrive in a windows machine it will not recognise that it is there, it does 'bong' buts thats it. Can anyone shed any light on why this happens.

thanks matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
What format did you format the drive in? I believe it should be formated in FAT-32 which both Windows & OS X can read/write.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
+1 for making sure you've formatted it into FAT32 and not Mac OS X Journaled or something..Windows will not recognize that..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Let's laugh. Mac OS X will read Windows' formats, but Windows can only read Windows' formats! Ha ha ha!

OP
Reaction score
Well thank you all for your help i will look into this, got to love windows for not wanting to play

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum. Not a comment or suggestion about the forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.