printer driver for vanilla text file?

Reaction score
is there any printer driver available that lets me add a "generic ascii printer" that prints to a text file?
or, do you know a trick to accomplish this without adding a printer for this purpose?
(i know, save as pdf and use pdf2ascii - but can i package this as a simple printer selection? if your suggestion includes the word "applescript", pls give detailed instructions, for a dummy! thanks. )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Text Edit - in your applications folder gives a bunch of choices - that any good?

Click for full size

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are you trying to "print" to? Better yet, what application are you using and what are you looking for it to do?

Reaction score
printer driver for vanilla text file

What are you trying to "print" to? Better yet, what application are you using and what are you looking for it to do?

This question could be related to the one I have when I found this 2008 post:

To answer vansmith's question, printing to a text file could be useful for several applications; Safari for instance could print to the 'driver' the following web page (maybe opening the TextEdit.app automagically):

print2txt_eg.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.