Microsoft Office for mac install question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen Itouch | White MacBook, 2.4ghz, X.6
So, over a year ago I bought MS office 08 for mac through my school (nice discount). So just tonight I told my friend, who recently bought a mac, that he could come over and install MSoffice because it says I have 3 installs. so he installs it, and then starts getting messages that this copy is licensed to my name. We said well, I hope we don't have to type a paper at the same time. Now he's at home, and says its working fine, we both have word open, with the internet connected.

so why did it give us these messages? should i be worried about us both having it open at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
So, over a year ago I bought MS office 08 for mac through my school (nice discount). So just tonight I told my friend, who recently bought a mac, that he could come over and install MSoffice because it says I have 3 installs. so he installs it, and then starts getting messages that this copy is licensed to my name. We said well, I hope we don't have to type a paper at the same time. Now he's at home, and says its working fine, we both have word open, with the internet connected.

so why did it give us these messages? should i be worried about us both having it open at the same time?

The license is designed for 3 installs in your household and not to be shared with friends. You are in violation of the EULA by sharing it with the friend. The proper thing to do would be to remove it from the friends computer and have him buy his own copy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
John is very correct. That is totally against Microsoft's EULA. The Home Student version of Office is quite affordable and I would suggest your friend purchase his own copy. It could very well cause issues with you and Microsoft, but even if it says nothing more it's not right.

I am going to close this thread as it's in violation of the Community Guidelines here at Mac Forums, plus there is nothing more that can be said to help you in what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.