when to install ram?

J

justin1083

so i'm getting a new powerbook tomorrow and i already have the extra ram...i'm wondering when to install it? is it ok if i put it in before i turn the computer on for the first time, or should i get everything set up first. does it make a difference? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Shouldn't make any difference but I would start it up and make sure everything is working first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
just get it stuck in otherwise you will proberbly not install the RAM for a few days lol

OP
M

menace3054

inflexion said:
just get it stuck in otherwise you will proberbly not install the RAM for a few days lol

do it before you start it, otherwise you might get a bad impression since the powerbooks ship with way less ram that needed to run most programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I'd boot it up, make sure everything works okay before you install the chip.

Just in case it is bad and you get a system crash or other problem associated with it, you'll be able to diagnose pretty quick having known that it worked perfectly before installing the extra RAM. It happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
IanCT said:
I'd boot it up, make sure everything works okay before you install the chip.

Just in case it is bad and you get a system crash or other problem associated with it, you'll be able to diagnose pretty quick having known that it worked perfectly before installing the extra RAM. It happens.

Completly agree with this statement. Make sure everything is in working order from apple before adding your own stuff to the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.