Unofficial ordering, shipping and receiving and first reviews of the iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well said. And I agree 100%. And I think most users will not wash their hands before using it. Filthy pigs they are. So you'd need that cloth to wipe away all the dirt and grime transfered from their fingers to the ipad's screen.

C

chas_m

Just to address the last two comments: the iPad actually comes with an oleophobic screen (that's fancy talk for "resists smudging").

More glowing reviews (in fact, I haven't found a bad one yet -- the worst one I've seen is Pogue's overly-folksy praise-ridden review).

Another piece from Andy Inhatko (100 percent different from the one I linked to earlier, but even more positive than the first one)

New video from David Pogue (non-flash version available on iTunes in better quality); watch for "The Video Professor's" cameo!

Most delicious of all, though, has to be PC Magazine's review. Yes, PC MAGAZINE loves the iPad. Seriously, they love it.

(dead links removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Just to address the last two comments: the iPad actually comes with an oleophobic screen (that's fancy talk for "resists smudging").

That sounds very nice, though I'll have to see it to believe it. "Resists smudging" and "doesn't smudge" are two different things to me at least. I hope to stand corrected.

C

chas_m

That sounds very nice, though I'll have to see it to believe it. "Resists smudging" and "doesn't smudge" are two different things to me at least. I hope to stand corrected.

No, you're right -- they are two different things. But compared to my iPhone 2G, for example, oleophobic screens (like the 3GS for example) are WAAAAY better and easier to clean.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad

More glowing reviews (in fact, I haven't found a bad one yet -- the worst one I've seen is Pogue's overly-folksy praise-ridden review).

Another piece from Andy Inhatko (100 percent different from the one I linked to earlier, but even more positive than the first one)

New video from David Pogue (non-flash version available on iTunes in better quality); watch for "The Video Professor's" cameo!

Most delicious of all, though, has to be PC Magazine's review. Yes, PC MAGAZINE loves the iPad. Seriously, they love it.

Thanks love the reviews mine is still in china

(dead links removed)

Reaction score
Shipments went out to the stores today. In my area; some stores got 420 and some 10. The stores will probably receive more tomorrow.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hope the store I have my reserve at is one of the 10 unit stores.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
My city doesn't have an Apple Store, keeping that in mind. In my local news yesterday, they said only two stores would have the iPad in my area, an Apple reseller and Best Buy, both only having 15. I sort of chuckled at the thought of how pitiful it is that only 30 iPads are available in my city. I feel bad for anyone thinking they can easily go to any one of these stores and get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
C

chas_m

Andy Inhatko continues his one-man attempt to write EVERY iPad review with a THIRD piece, all-new, in the Chicago Sun-Times (or as I'm starting to call it "iPad Central"). (dead link removed)

A choice quote:
After a week of locked-door testing, I didn’t think I could become more impressed with the iPad. After a day of real-world use with real-world iPad apps, I’ve come to think of the iPad as more than a nifty mobile computer. It’s starting to look -- just starting, mind you -- like the first radical shift in computing to hit the world since the introduction of the Mac more than a quarter-century ago.

C

chas_m

Sorry, FOURTH article by Andy, this time strictly focussing on iBooks:
iBooks is worth the price alone for iPad as ebook reader :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko (dead link removed)

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Just got off the phone with a friend in the u p s i posted on the ipad in china Is really in the united states at this time but i won't get it on monday

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While I'm sure Apple is much more prepared than Amazon was with the Kindle and ready to produce a few million units this year, if reviews continue to come like these first few out of the gate, they'll still not be able to keep up with the demand.

C

chas_m

As I've said in other threads, my guess is:

1M within the first 90 days of shipping
3M by calendar year's end (actually I now believe this is too low, but oh well)
at least 5M by the first anniversary of the product (again, I now think this is a low-end guess)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.