Unofficial ordering, shipping and receiving and first reviews of the iPad

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Today, I got my email conformation that my iPad 32G is shipping from Shenzhen, China! In the email, I also noticed, at least for UPS customers, there is an option to pre-sign for the package. I'm considering doing it, since I really don't want to miss the truck by mistake. It's also going to be extremely warm that day too, so maybe I'll be able to sit outside and wait. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well pre-signing is risky too. Say something happens to your ipad while in transit or someone has light fingers. You've already pre-signed for the ipad. And that signature is saying "yes I have got my package from you, it was delivered ok".

That's why I never pre-sign for any package. I make sure it comes to me first and in resonable condition. ie. The packaging not torn to shreds. Only when I am satisfied my package is in my hands and in acceptable condition do I sign.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've definitely ran through those possibilities. But it's so tempting. :p But I do agree. My family does a lot of ordering, we never have gotten a beaten up package with damaged goods in it. But the only thing I could see as a downside is theft, but I'd be home anyways that day to snatch it right up. O:)

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I ordered the minute I could still no shipping so called apple they said the rest will ship today ughhhhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I just canceled my pre-order of the 16gb 3g iPad. The long wait gave me time to think it over. I could not really justify spending that much on one right now.

Now maybe someone else will get the chance to get one on the first day.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Mine has shipped yet my bank account has not been touched

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Today, I got my email conformation that my iPad 32G is shipping from Shenzhen, China! In the email, I also noticed, at least for UPS customers, there is an option to pre-sign for the package. I'm considering doing it, since I really don't want to miss the truck by mistake. It's also going to be extremely warm that day too, so maybe I'll be able to sit outside and wait. :)

Can't you contact your local shipping location and have them just hold it for pickup? That way you don't have to wait for the truck to roll up and have any potential theft issues.

I've heard this is possible, but not sure which carriers allow it.

Reaction score
Signing the release allows UPS to leave it without a signature. But the fear :Oops:would be someone following the truck and yanking your iPad!

UPS in my area is adding an additional 26 drivers this Saturday. Normal Saturday only has 34 drives, increasing to 60. Crazy. :D

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't you contact your local shipping location and have them just hold it for pickup? That way you don't have to wait for the truck to roll up and have any potential theft issues.

I've heard this is possible, but not sure which carriers allow it.
I believe there is that option, however, I don't have a car to drive on the weekend. :Smirk: Oh well.

Signing the release allows UPS to leave it without a signature. But the fear :Oops:would be someone following the truck and yanking your iPad!
That actually crossed my mind. lol I'm most likely not to pre-sign. But now, just my luck, they'd deliver it to my house, before I wake up. >< Going to have to set that alarm just in case.

UPS in my area is adding an additional 26 drivers this Saturday. Normal Saturday only has 34 drives, increasing to 60. Crazy. :D
That's pretty interesting/cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Or more likely someone at the post office wanting to deliver your ipad to their own home and keep it instead if your home. Ie mail theft.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Yep ihave a crappy driver. I lost 30 inch monitor he said he delivered to the man who lives there. funny thing is it's just me and my daughter do u p s wish with fedex

C

chas_m

I do look forward to reading your impressions of the device when you do get it, BadApple.

The irony is that you'll be signing for the thing on a "tablet like device" that's about 10x heavier, 5x thicker and 100x uglier. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. The ipad could be a signature authenticator with the right app. And the postie would look really cool with it.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Think I have to wait till Monday I hate ups I think I live in a small town but Fed Ex has Sat delivery.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that article. When my unit gets here I am going to try Andy's suggestion of using the iPad next to my MBP. April is going to be the longest month of my life.

C

chas_m

More reviews:

David Pogue (actually the worst-written review I've ever seen from him -- must have been under a tight deadline, his angle is really rather dumb and he over-simplifies horribly, but that doesn't affect his overall opinion, which is broadly positive)

Walt Mossberg (likes it very much)

Ed Baig, USA Today (loves it)

What's been especially interesting to me (since it proves my hunch correct) is that all three report significantly longer battery life than many expected -- ten hours with normal use, not "might squeeze ten hours out if you use it in an extremely minimal way" like usual. Pogue got 12 hours of continuous video playing, Mossberg got 11.5 with video, wifi and email.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
And mine is sitting on a pallet because we don't have Saturday. Delivery but if they shipped fed ex it would be good.ughhhhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a link.
Apple hires security agency to track, guard iPad shipments | MacNN

It just says Apple hired an un-named security company to also track ipad shipments so no postal workers can steal one without getting caught.

article-1262770-080E80B3000005DC-51_306x390.jpg

I think that is a very nice pic so you can get the size of the thing in your hand. It looks just about right to me.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/24625/
And this is an atricle about a whole 30 minute episode of a TV show with a plotline totally based on the ipad.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/ipad-review-one-slick-device-20100129-n2h7.html
Another nice ipad review. This one has pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Looks nice. Though, it also looks like they should have included a slot in the back plate to hold a cleaning cloth for the soon to be perpetually smudged screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.