• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Joining the Armed Forces (Canadian)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To a great extent, the opinions of non-Canadians in this thread are "irrelevant" (note the quotation marks). When I say that, I don't mean that your opinions or experiences are not valuable but more that you're suggestions are based on very different militaristic circumstances. The armed forces of different nation-states operate in vastly different ways and the only way you're going to get a good opinion about the Canadian Armed Forces is to ask a soldier here. For instance, military culture in the United States, Australia or wherever is very very different than it is here and that goes not only for public discourse around the AF but also in how military policy is formed. Thus, I implore you to talk to people in the military before making this decision - you're going to get no better information than directly from someone in the AF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well said Van , DA just know that what ever your final thoughts are we are all thinking about you and hope it all works out.

Clay

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm just so frustrated. I finally get one step ahead/back on track, and then BAM! I take 7000 steps back.

I appreciate your guys' comments and concern, I know it's more genuine than most people I know right now.. I've just never felt so helpless and desperate in my life. To be honest, I'm not afraid to die. I've accepted death. We all die at some point. If it's overseas from an AK round, so be it. And I'm not just saying that because of the situation I'm in either...

/sigh lol

Some times you just need to start over, and this looks like a good opportunity for that. But, I'm hearing (reading between the lines actually) some things that cause me concern. I work with a 12 step ministry (unpaid volunteer) and one thing I have learned is simply changing locations and situations isn't a permanent fix if we don't change the underlying behaviors that created the original mess.
I am a big supporter of the military and would highly recommend any young man or woman wanting to make a fresh start or a career, with the caveats it has to fit your personality. Some can't take the regimentation and discipline.

What I would strongly recommend is that you find some one to help you sort things out . . . get a handle on the issues that have led you to where you are today, then enlist.
I agree with Jaime and wil be praying for you too.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very good helpful posts!

Will be praying also for you also.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament, DA. I truly wish you all the best in getting some kind of resolution to this all. Just remember, it can only get better from here. I've been down a time or two, but in the end it worked out.

As far as the military goes, I think if I could do it all over again, I would have gone in the Navy. My dad is a Navy veteran and I love to hear some of the stories he tells, it makes me long for the adventure that he had. But more than that, I was a mess when I was 18-22 or so. I wasted a lot of time and money that would have been much better spent doing something productive.

Fortunately, I met a girl (now my wife) who was exactly what I needed. She taught me how to be responsible and work hard. Without her love and support, I would probably be a mess today.

But that was sheer dumb luck. Had I gone into the military, I wouldn't have struggled with debt that I'd accrued, I would have been in much better shape, and I would have been far more self-confident. Heck, I probably would have ended up in the same career, but would have had an easier time getting my foot in the door. And I would have had the pride of knowing that I served my country and gave back in some way for the PRIVILEGED LIFE that I enjoy as an American.

So, in short, I don't think you can go wrong going into the military if you think it's something you'd enjoy. And I would just like to take a moment here to thank all of those of you that served (in the U.S. and other Armed Forces), I think I speak for many of us here when I say that your service is appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As far as the military goes, I think if I could do it all over again, I would have gone in the Navy.

I was in the Army...and sometimes thought the same thing...that joining the Navy might have been more interesting. But then again...being stuck on a ship for weeks or months (other than ports of call)...may not be that great either.

Here's a FAQ from the US Navy website concerning time at sea:

HOW MUCH TIME WILL I SPEND AT SEA?
It depends. Normally ships will go to sea for 10 days to two weeks each month for training operations. Extended operations away from home port can last up to six months, and ships deploy every 18–24 months. This varies depending on the mission and type of ship. Ships on six-month deployments spend time visiting ports throughout the world. If you are on a shore duty tour, you will likely spend no time at sea during the course of the duty assignment (usually two to three years).

Obviously (for the OP)...this is info related to the US Navy...the Canadian Navy may be much different.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As far as branch of service, I'm an American and my experiences may have no relevance to Canadian Armed Forces, but I would recommend Air Force.
I was an enlisted man in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, and later an officer in the Army (long story).
The Air Force was hands down better for quality of life and training.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
haha..being in a division recon for the 4th Infantry Division 1-10 Cavalry "The Famous Buffalo Soldiers" was interesting for awhile. I must admit that, I was a crew member of a M3A2 Bradley & The M1A2 Sep Tank "The Abrams"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
haha..being in a division recon for the 4th Infantry Division 1-10 Cavalry "The Famous Buffalo Soldiers" was interesting for awhile. I must admit that, I was a crew member of a M3A2 Bradley & The M1A2 Sep Tank "The Abrams"

HAHA i was in Armoured Corps with the M1A1 APC then we commissioned the LAV25 and being in the Corps always wished i could have been born decades before so i could have gone into the Panzer Division of yesteryear .... lol dreams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I am Army. Going through Airborne and Ranger school. Hoping to try for Special Forces selection in a year or so. I always wanted to be an elite soldier. Army all the way for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
haha...I also had dreams of the early Tank division. Riding with the 761st Tank Division on Omaha Beach. Guess we would've been enemies back in our dreams. Nice Artlicle hey sorry OP for commenting so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
That is cool. My Grandfather was LT.COL of one of the Armored divisions.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Thanks every one for all the comments.. It truly does mean a lot..

I actually chatted wit ha recruiter online (as there isn't an office in this town). Answered some basic questions I had regarding living arrangements and stuff..

But I was researching career paths, and came across "Weapons Technician - Land"

I can turn it into a very successful career and everything about this career path has my interest. Plus like I said, if I don't like it, 3 years is nothing, and I'll have transferable skills and I'll have enough money set aside to have a nice fresh start afterwards.

I'm wanting to do this for personal reasons/self discovery. I think enlisting will give me that self-discipline I desperately need as well as other personal traits to help me become a better person and fix my mistakes.

A change of scenery is always nice too.. I'm going to give it some more thought and research some more. Basic starts every 2 weeks throughout the year, and my application could take up to a month to be completed.. So I think I'm going to try and get a part-time job in the mean time until I decide what I want to do.

Again, thanks every one for your concern, it truly does mean a lot. It helps to know there's people out there that care, even if it's online haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Enjoy your new career and remember you still have to do the basic training so start that fitness program today DarkArt!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
haha...I also had dreams of the early Tank division. Riding with the 761st Tank Division on Omaha Beach. Guess we would've been enemies back in our dreams. Nice Artlicle hey sorry OP for commenting so much

LOL yep we would have been ;P

@ OP congrats mate and hope it works out well for you. Some people can make it a great career ...
But then again its not for some ...

Take care and see you on the Dark Side ;)

TM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.