Help needed - Qubz external DVD writer and Macbook

Reaction score
Hi

My technical knowledge when it coms to Macs (and all computers really) is pretty poor so sorry if I'm a bit slow!

I'm trying to run a Qubz external DVD drive on my Macbook (NOT air or pro - bought around 2006) but can't seem to get it working. Power's getting to it via usb as I'm able to use the eject function (and the green light comes on), but the Macbook doesn't appear to be recognizing the dvd drive. It might be something simple like drivers, but as I say - I'm fairly useless with computers so any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
We'll need a bit more info... what OS version are you running on there? Which model MacBook is it, do you know?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Jamie

Its OS X Version 10.4.11. Hardware overview says the following - hope it helps.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You may need to upgrade to a newer OS. Mac OS X 10.6 is $30 from Apple. Snag it. It is SO worth it. (Even though I haven't yet...)

Before you ask, yes, the $29 disc will upgrade 10.4. No, you won't find a better price anywhere.

:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to the Qubz web site in the UK, the drive is powered from the USB port. Is that true for your drive? If it is, I find that unusual as most drives have their own built in power supply or use a power cube.

It may be that your Qubz drive is not receiving enough power for it to adequately work. It may be able to eject, but not read or write disks. And I noticed that the drive instructions do not mention being compatible with OS X although they do mention Linux.

Anyway, try hooking up a separate power supply to the drive and see if you have any better luck.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
According to the Qubz web site in the UK, the drive is powered from the USB port. Is that true for your drive? If it is, I find that unusual as most drives have their own built in power supply or use a power cube.

It may be that your Qubz drive is not receiving enough power for it to adequately work. It may be able to eject, but not read or write disks. And I noticed that the drive instructions do not mention being compatible with OS X although they do mention Linux.

Anyway, try hooking up a separate power supply to the drive and see if you have any better luck.

Regards.

Oh yeah... and my drive is only powered by USB. I don't recall it coming with a separate power supply but I'll see if I can find one. Thanks again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.