Buying MacBook Unibody next week - upgrades?

Reaction score
Evening forum! :)
I've thought it over and over and I'm going to purchase the MacBook over the MacBook Pro because I like the overall look better =)

Now, my question is.. which upgrades will be worth paying for (in terms of plain performance)?
I WILL be multi-tasking a lot and I'll be doing some photo editing here and there I'll be using Illustrator quite commonly. Other than that, the day-to-day usage (mail, iTunes, QuickTime) can't be left out.

For this little 'project' I'm on a budget of €1400,- (-€850,- for the MacBook = €550,- left for possible upgrades).

As I said, I WILL be multi-tasking quite a lot, so I think an upgrade to 4GB RAM will be imminent, won't it?
Also, I've been looking into upgrading to an SSD (Intel X25-M/OCZ Vertex), would this really be worth the price? I read some reviews and the benchmarks blow me away, the system itself would become a lot faster using an SSD (reading-wise).

Now, my last question: does anyone have any suggestions about (other) possible upgrades that I could perform?

Thanks again ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The Ram and HD are as far as you can, or need to go!
The SSD's are said to be great, but as you know, they are really pricey, and in real terms, having a 7200 rpm HD instead of an SSD won't impact negatively on your work, but the speed will certainly be impressive with the SSD :)
Just remember, that if you are going to upgrade the Ram and upgrade the HD to a SSD, buy them and upgrade them yourself.
Off memory, I'm not sure if we've been through this in your other threads, so without looking back I'll just give you a couple of links.
Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
CompUSA.com - Computers, Laptops, Televisions, Software, and Electronics from the All-New CompUSA!

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
The Ram and HD are as far as you can, or need to go!
The SSD's are said to be great, but as you know, they are really pricey, and in real terms, having a 7200 rpm HD instead of an SSD won't impact negatively on your work, but the speed will certainly be impressive with the SSD :)
Just remember, that if you are going to upgrade the Ram and upgrade the HD to a SSD, buy them and upgrade them yourself.
Off memory, I'm not sure if we've been through this in your other threads, so without looking back I'll just give you a couple of links.
Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
CompUSA.com - Computers, Laptops, Televisions, Software, and Electronics from the All-New CompUSA!

Thanks for the reply =)
Yeah, I'm aware of the (high) price Apple is asking for their upgrades, but buying a MacBook with 4GB built in already would be more profitable for me (as I don't live in the USA and pricing for 2x2GB 204-pin modules are at €100,-).

I will be upgrading the HDD myself (if I'm going to upgrade it). I think an SSD would be awesome as a boot drive, performance wise. Just my two cents, though. Only downside would be the capacity, but 80GB should be enough for an OS, applications and my music/photo library (~15GB).
I'll probably be storing my movies and downloads on a network drive (Time Capsule?).

Anyways, I guess the MacBook Unibody can handle Illustrator + some other applications at the same time without issues, can't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It can.... even with the standard HD and Ram it will handle what you want to do.
As for not being in USA, I'm in Australia, and still it is financially a better option for me even with shipping to by online from these US sites rather than from here in Oz!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to clarify.... In Australia, all goods except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
Just to clarify.... In Australia, all goods except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

That's €25,- international and.. €120,- from within Europe? Also, I'm not even taking in account the ridiculous shipping costs (~30$ to The Netherlands.. got to love that).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's criminal!
So much for free trading :(

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
That's criminal!
So much for free trading :(

Agreed, but the government here screwed themselves over, so I'm laughing out loud these days xD

Mhm.. Even if it'll run without those upgrades, what would be a good decision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm working with 120GB 5400rpm HD and 2GB ram.... occasionally run some very intensive loads when doing my musical recordings, while running word with multiple docs open, and a few browser windows open, and a few other apps, and still have had no problems.
7200rpm HD or SSD and 4GB Ram would certainly make things nippier, but still everything runs just fine.
I'd rather upgrade to higher spec (faster processor) MacBook Pro than get the HD and Ram upgrades if that amount of money allows.
Aren't there any computer stores there with cheaper prices than Apple for upgrades?

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
I'm working with 120GB 5400rpm HD and 2GB ram.... occasionally run some very intensive loads when doing my musical recordings, while running word with multiple docs open, and a few browser windows open, and a few other apps, and still have had no problems.
7200rpm HD or SSD and 4GB Ram would certainly make things nippier, but still everything runs just fine.
I'd rather upgrade to higher spec (faster processor) MacBook Pro than get the HD and Ram upgrades if that amount of money allows.
Aren't there any computer stores there with cheaper prices than Apple for upgrades?

If I'd be considering a MacBook Pro it'd only be the updated ones (but who knows when this is going to happen mhm..).
For me (now), it seems like a huge money waste to opt in on the base or high-end 13' MBP, I really do like the backlit keyboard, though.

That aside, I DO like the overall look of the White MacBook better, but I think that's just a style thing. If the MacBooks are to be updated tomorrow or next week (which they won't.. XD), I'll have to reconsider my decision of buying a White MacBook because the value for price of the MBP will rise significantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a hard call whichever way you go..... I understand.
I have the 2007 white Macbook, which when I got it was just shy of $2000 AU$, and spending another $1000 for the MBP wasn't even a consideration. Now however, the only upgrade I would be making (if I had to) would be to a 15" MBP based on styling, backlit keyboard, and matte screen option. The fact remains that this late 2007 little gem has given me no reason (other than material want) to upgrade. Almost 2.5 yrs, and it has already exceeded my expectations of how long my laptop purchase will run smoothly and keep up with the times :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.